Jump to content

Clay pidgeon shooting

Recommended Posts

hi would any one be able to tellme whether  i can set a clay pidgeon trap up on my own land and shoot? or do i need to get permissions   Also i have an English shotgun licence would i need to register the gun in France if im not a resident

any help would be appreciated as i finding it hard to find answer



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi-----I don't know anything about having a "trap" on your land but I do know about owning a shotgun here in France.

As keen enthusiasts , along with our Labradors, on keeping our casseroles full of local grouse and other game, we needed to apply for a licence.

First of all, you will need to show why you need one----living in a rural area as we do, that presents no problem; but I imagine it would do so in a town !

Second, you HAVE to prove you can speak French pretty fluently. That is a firm rule.

Third, quite a bit of paperwork.#

But, at the end of the day, all well worth it------a good way to obtain the very best of certain foods, and a real pleasure to walk through rural bliss here in Gard with the dogs and a packed lunch in sunshine that we never got back in that over-crowded island across La Manche [:D]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friend who used to come over for different periods joined a Clay Pigeon Shooting Club and certainly it was not suggested that as a visitor he needed to register the gun. CPSA should be able to give advice. Obviously insurance is the big thing. Mairie would be able to advise re being able to set up shooting clays on own land but there will of course be noise problem and safety problem.

Game shooting is a whole different area and you need to pass exam in French.

Good luck


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regardless of whether you're intention is game or clay pigeon shooting, as a visitor to another EU country you will also require a European Firearms Pass issued by the police force who granted the shotgun certificate.


If the OP is only a visitor, without the EFP your shotgun certificate means tiddly squat to the French!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
Hi. I am moving to France in September and renting a house for 6 months before probably buying. I want to bring my shotgun and have already applied for a European Firearm Pass. What else do I need to do, Police Licensing are not very helpful. Do I need to bring my gun cabinet, do I need to get a French Licence when I get there? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...