anyone bored of this Sport, Leisure and Pastimes of............

mint

sitting on one's behind, unable to do much, if anything, trying to keep cool?

Too hot to go out and I have to keep out of the sun for at least a year on medical advice.

What kind of special torture is this climate change business?

Close shutters early. Open windows behind them so draft blows through the house.

Put the biggest bowl of water you can in the fridge the, when the house gets hot, blow the fan across the water. This is poor persons’ air conditioning. Of course, if you have ice it works better.

Put more than one bowl in the fridge so you can have a relay.

Make an ice bowl in the freezer and use that, but not always possible if you have filled up with delicious runner beans!

Wooly .. I'm following a Facebook thread from someone who ordered one of those coolair thingies, supposed to be on offer at $50. When they completed the sake the bill popped up at $260. Others further commented that they're rubbish and one person who wanted to return 2 was advised to send them to a return address in Estonia at their own cost.

I don't think there's a barge pole long enough....

I am now hot, bothered and bored.  This heat is now the upper limit of bearable.

Sitting in a molten heap in front of the tv in the sous-sol (coolest place in the house), I have just had the misfortune of seeing some synchonised swimming!  I admire the agility, am completely in awe of the strength, the determination, etc etc but, IMHO, sport this ain't.

Those girls looking like some beings of indeterminate gender from some very scary sci-fi film..........yikes and double yikes[:-))]

Indeterminate is all the rage, Nimt. Please notice that I use the word rage in the French sense!

Gardening is tough at the moment as my garden has little shade except at the bottom part so I go down there and a few shady flowerbeds when the sun is almost down. And watering around dusk too.

You are right, it is boring and debilitating.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Close shutters early. Open windows behind them so draft blows through the house.

Put the biggest bowl of water you can in the fridge the, when the house gets hot, blow the fan across the water. This is poor persons’ air conditioning. Of course, if you have ice it works better.

Put more than one bowl in the fridge so you can have a relay.

Make an ice bowl in the freezer and use that, but not always possible if you have filled up with delicious runner beans![/quote]

Depends on the house and the wind (or lack of).  We have a heat sink rood, due to its design of using all the space to make the upper floor ... and impossible to keep cool ... even doing the usual ... don't  have space in my fridge to keep cool water, or ice, and too many and too large a room for it to work ... fans seems to work, but they must be directly on my face!!!

Yes, downstairs, actually sous sol in our case, is the coolest.  Have now turned into a mole-like creature, only surfacing above ground after dark.

Actually, I don't think that all this is a mere "pastime" anymore, it's become a full-time occupation called "trying to stay alive in the heat".  So eating raw food instead of proper cooked meals, drinking water at regular intervals, nibbling on bits of refrigerated fruit to keep mouth and throat moist, slathering on sun screen if forced to briefly go outdoors, sleeping or not at whatever hours I could manage it and so on and so on.

As the more disgruntled aspects of my character have surfaced quite alarmingly, I am staying away from all social activities so as not to impose myself on others.

With that I am now off the 'puter......

You do remember mint that you wanted to go away for a bit of sunshine not so long ago.[;-)]

In 2003 closing the shutters and leaving the windows open did not work. No air, just more heat filtering in, in spite of good wooden shutters.

And we lived next to a little river and normally there was some air there.

So for what felt like months, as it felt ceaseless, I spent my time inside, with fans on, and one light on, as I swear I could feel heat from the bulb.

It has been well over 30 here, and too hot for me, last few days around 23 and I felt soulager! but hot again today.

Out early on the bike in this weather.... got out for a nice ride along the Cele to Marcilhac this morning, got going before 9:00 and it was really rather nice. Off to the Pyrenees next week and planning (I hope) to ride some of the cols so it would be nice if it wasn't too hot. Hopefully getting up to around 6000 feet should reduce it a bit.

Well I have clime. Also I have Linky. I run chambres d'hotes and the guests naturally benefit from it. I paid a lot to install it and I pay a lot to run it. Contrary to popular belief Linky doesn't report exactly what you are doing at any one moment, only how much money you are gifting to your suppliers and it's useful for me. It's just so frustrating to be limited to outside activities because of the heat.

But, Kong, you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick[:-))]

We are not "limited to outside activities".......outside is a no-no, just too damn hot.  We are limited to ALL activities[+o(]  Too hot outside and too hot inside.  Had 2 fans on in the kitchen this morning, one ceiling fan and one desk fan placed on the worktop until I realised that the desk fan base was getting really hot.  So, even for fans, too much activity is not advisable.

Yesterday evening, went with a friend to one of those nuit des étoiles events where you look through telescopes and have someone explain to you what you are looking at.  The Milky Way was stunning on a clear night sky.  Dripped sweat outdoors all evening and came home exhausted after midnight. 

Only 3 more days to go and, after that, we have been promised a slight respite.  Climate change: fake news or the new reality or simply too early to say?

[quote user="powerdesal"]Nomoss wrote :- Stand the fridge in the room with its door openBig Smile [:D]

Surely the heat given off by the fridge working so hard with the door open would nullify any cooling effect.[/quote]

[:D] [:D]