Tour de France

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A really grim accident - he could easily have been killed (the fracture of his neck).

Notwithstanding the fact that he’s a very fit professional athlete, the suggestion that he’ll be ‘out’ in 6 weeks really does seem optimistic. Anyway, his season is over.

I very much hope that he’ll be able to return as a seriously competitive team member in 2020.

• 1 month later...
I'll be in a position to say when I've watched the ITV4 highlights later. ?Son #1 sent a spoiler message earlier, otherwise you'd be dealing with crosspatch Betty.

Mr. Ineos is probs feeling a bit better about his investment tonight. Bolstered also by the video on their Insta feed of Froome back on a bike only six weeks after his crash. OK, admittedly only pedalling with one leg and with clearly a long road to recovery, but good to see him mending.

Bias of the commentators is par for the course (yes, I know, wrong sport[:)])

You should watch Wimbledon and listen to the commentators whenever a British player is on court.  Not just the commentary either.  There is the scheduling, who gets to play at the most advantageous time of day and who gets to play on Centre Court etc etc.

If it's any consolation, it irritates me as well.

Oddly, mint, listening to commentary of a Federer match vs a Murray match (not even the two playing each other) always drove me mad. Federer playing a bad point always "oops, bit of a hiccup from the X-times champion". Murray playing a bad point "Well, it looks like Andy's match is over"

Let's not forget that few of the key Wimbledon commentators working for the BBC are Brits...?

He will be tomorrow. And good for G. Like Froome last year, sporting and gentlemanly in his commitment to support his team mate as race leader on the final day. And big hats off to Alaphilippe who has ridden an absolute blinder to this point. Sad to see Pinot DNF, and French hopes fizzling after an incredible 3 weeks for their riders.

Thats because few of the Brits are good at the game of tennis now.

I do suspect that the commentators realise that they are being paid by the BBC and the audience is in the UK. Sue Barker holds the fort well given that Cliff is no longer in the picture.

In reality though, Federer is well beyond Murray in terms of accomplishments (and ability?).

So, indeed, when it comes to sport there is some acceptable bias in commentating. Not so when it comes to some nationalistic views in politics though.

NB - YCCMB: quite surprised to see that you are sad for the French. I recall you being rather against them not so long ago in the ride.

[quote user=" YCCMB"]He will be tomorrow. And good for G. Like Froome last year, sporting and gentlemanly in his commitment to support his team mate as race leader on the final day. And big hats off to Alaphilippe who has ridden an absolute blinder to this point. Sad to see Pinot DNF, and French hopes fizzling after an incredible 3 weeks for their riders.[/quote]

I agree about G and Alaphilippe, both philosophical today.  Certainly Alaphilippe has been outstanding and I love watching his descents.  The French had such hopes for this year.....!!!
Pinot did look like he had a lot of pain and you could see he couldn't really continue; such a shame with only 2 days to go[:(]

PS, just thinking how lucky I have been with the "accept cookies" thing when, wouldn't you know it, I couldn't post this until I had "accepted....yet again! 

They've just succumbed to the inevitable, Wools. Alaphilippe wasn't supposed to be a GC contender and he was, Pinot is, on his day, a brilliant climber, outclassed by the Colombian contingent who spend their lives at altitude, and to some extent and by his own admission, a victim of weather that really doesn't suit him. The whole race has, at least, opened things up and included some stellar performances from unexpected quarters literally from stage 1. Whoever wins, riders and spectators will have been kept on their toes from start to finish!