Recommendations, please, for a portable computer

mint

I think OH is now ready to upgrade to a proper laptop after learning to find his way round the tablet I bought him on recommendations from the forum[:)]

He's right in finding the tablet's on-screen keyboard fiddly to use.  I find it both fiddly and not always responsive.

So can you now please recommend a reliable portable that is easy to use (ie decent sized keys) and also the best place to buy it?

Thank you.

If you are happy with the tablet, changing to a bluetooth keyboard would be a good solution,

I can recommend this one. Available from various outlets including Amazon.

Bluetooth keyboard, Jelly Comb B046 Multi-device Wireless Keyboard.

[quote user="mint"]
I think OH is now ready to upgrade to a proper laptop [/quote]

As you haven't stated what spec.he would require or the price limit of a laptop I would suggest that during any reasearch you may carry out that you check out some refurbished machines.

As wealthy

There are always reconditioned PCs and portables available from Amazon.

On Amazon.fr search for "hp reconditionné portable" or "dell reconditionné portable" Sometimes they show a list of models without prices and you need to click on a model to see the price.

In the UK https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk always have a large selection of refurbished PCs an portables but they only deliver to UK addresses.

"alittlebitfrench" wrote:

Chromebook.

If I needed a cheap laptop, that is what I would get.

--------

Chromebooks have an Auto Update Expiration (“AUE”) when support stops. So you might want to check it, especially if you buy one secondhand. Just like mobile phones no longer getting updates, it should still work but software updates, etc. could fail.

This page has a full list of Auto Update Expiration (“AUE”)

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366

NormanH wrote the following post at Wed, Sep 09 2020 21:11:

derf

The bluetooth keyboard is a good idea, but the one you mention is a QUERTY and I would be lost on it. Do they make AZERY ones?

Probably not many AZERY, but I just searched for "azerty clavier bluetooth" on Amazon.fr and found plenty of AZERTY bluetooth keyboards, including some branded Jelly Comb

[quote user="pip24"]Mint , one thing to consider is physical size and weight, not too large not too small. I know someone who bought a large laptop because the cost was the same as a smaller one but regretted buying it due to the weight of it when on his lap.[/quote]

Pip, I was careful to pick it up after your remark.

Went to Leclerc and bought an Acer Aspire 3 notebook.  Lovely little machine, very quick, has great sound and a feature which my Dell does not have; it has a non reflective screen.

If anyone else is looking to buy something similar, it's 70 euros off on promo until Saturday[:D]

mint wrote the following post at 10 Sep 2020 17:59:

Went to Leclerc and bought an Acer Aspire 3 notebook. Lovely little machine, very quick, has great sound and a feature which my Dell does not have; it has a non reflective screen.

Good for you, well done .. Acer is usually a sound buy. They are not pretty pretty but solid machines which usually work well for years and years.

A workhorse .. (smiley face)