Tour de France 2020

Gardian

Surprised that there’s been no mention so far.

As Tours go, this has (IMO) been the most watchable of recent years.

Of course, it’s been good to see a British team wipe out all the others in the last few years. However ........ the tables have been well & truly turned.

Roglic will win, and deserves to - just hope that Sam Bennett can hang on vs Peter Sangan for the Green jersey. The latter has been a great champion (if a less than perfect person), but time for a change & just about deserved.

Set aside what the ‘official’ numbers say - team of the Tour is Sunweb.

I daren't say much as I know very little about the rules.  I only watch to see the route, the countryside, the towns they pass, the churches, chateaux, etc.

Not being so much interested in those muscly, lyra- cladded bodies glistening in sweat, there is only the travelogue left for me[:P]

TBH even the tennis from New York was nothing like in a "normal" year but I did get to go to sleep instead of being glued to the live commentary into the wee, small hours.

I’m with Mint on this, it’s more about the (often wonderful) scenery than the cycling. Mr Auxadrets who used to have quite a selection of Lycra claddings, kindly explains what is going on each day. Like why is yesterday’s stage winner in charge of water delivery today?

It was near Orcières Merlettes that my 8 year-old son caught the cycling bug. He got so excited he fell into a bed of stinging nettles and didn’t feel a thing! He is now 50, has 10 (ten!) bikes, loads of Lycra and cycles vast distances per year.

I’ll have to share myself between tennis in Rome and cycling towards the Alps this afternoon. It’s all very tiring.

Oh, what a fantastic climb today!  They climbed and they climbed and, towards the end, they did all look like they were in pain.  The gradient was said to be 8.5 degrees!

Then near the end was M Macron and I had to smile seeing his immaculate white shirt and well-tailored suit.  I mean, who else could look like that at the top of a mountain?

He talked a bit about the tour but also quite a lot about taking personal responsibility for being prudent, washing hands, etc.  And how proud France is to be able to put on "spectacles" like this and Roland Garros later this month and to show the world our lovely countryside and some of the best things that France could offer.  He wasn't speech-making, just talking perfectly naturally to the interviewer.  A refreshing change indeed from speechifying politicians everywhere (no specific countries mentioned so no one could attack me[:P])

The climbing was magnificent but the descent down the Col de la Madeleine was terrifying. Maximum speeds approached 100 kph!! Julian Alaphilippe finally wore his little legs out in his usual swashbuckling way.

I was watching tennis from Rome on an iPad at the same time. Quite a tiring afternoon.

For me, this has been the best Tour for a number of years.

Every day, you never really knew what was going to happen ........ and even the TV experts were often dumbfounded.

The Time Trial tomorrow may change some things, but hopefully not much - the current positions seem to be fair based on what’s happened so far.

Couldn’t agree more WB.

Not sure whether to feel pleased for Pogacar or sorry for Roglic. More the former for me.

He thanked his team and all that in the immediate after race interview, but in truth this young man did it virtually on his own, with not much help from his team.

Absolutely gutting for Roglic - so near etc, etc.

Pleased too for Porte - a very deserved 3rd place.