Tour de France 2021

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, really tough tomorrow; one of our English neighbours has cycled up it once, he can’t imagine doing it twice though.

Probably a wise choice to watch Thursday’s stage on tv, although we thoroughly enjoyed it last time it came through town, took chairs, bunting, Champagne and snacks just across the road. Several nationalities complete with their flags were next to one another in our little corner and had a great time through the hours of waiting.

I’d been warned that we’d know when the riders were arriving imminently as the helicopter would appear - but it didn’t! ?

The cyclists were suddenly upon us and I was all fingers and thumbs with our tiny Ixus, kept pressing to take rapid photos one after another.

It later turned out that I’d managed to turn the video function on (hadn’t known there was one), so had very jerky video of them approaching very close to us, with Bradley Wiggins in the centre, by pure luck. That was the year he won the TdF.

Happy days when we could visit France.

Deceuninck – Quick-Step is a World Tour cycling team established in

2003 and based in Wevelgem, Belgium, a city that’s iconic for Flemish

cycling. Currently made up of 30 riders from 13 different countries,

Deceuninck – Quick-Step has built an extraordinary reputation over the

years, becoming one of the most successful squads in history under the

guidance of CEO Patrick Lefevere. At the end of 2010, Czech Businessman

Mr. Zdenek Bakala took over the outfit, which is managed by a Board

comprising eight members.

The team focuses on its Belgian roots, but also strives to have an

international impact. Since its inception, the outfit has scored almost

800 UCI victories, including 19 Monuments, 5 World Road Championships, 6

World ITT Championships, 4 World TTT Championships, 2 World Cups and an

Olympic Title.

For me, yesterday's finish was up there as one of the best, if not the best I've ever watched on the T de F.

It was so precisely paced and clinically executed for Cavendish to snag the line that it surely must go down as one of the classics. I would also add a chapeau to the producer as they were absolutely spot on with the timing and relaying of the aerial shots, enabling such an outstanding finish to be witnessed from my armchair.

Much nostalgia for us over the weekend. Stages 8 and 9, the Haute-Savoie, our old stomping ground where we bought our first house in1989. A beautiful department, but as was apparent at the weekend, far too much rain for us. That is why it always looks so green, although this is not too much of an issue in winter as it falls as snow, and it becomes white.

Just outside of Clusses, at the beginning of Sunday's race in a village called Magland, I saw the Boucherie we once stopped off at to buy some meat for a fondue (yes I know, but guests expected that sort of thing) and to my disbelief they proudly presented themselves as purveyors of Donkey sausage. Yikes!

Crashes, abandons etc have wiped out many of his rivals for stage wins.

This is not to in any way diminish his achievement, given that he was almost unemployable at the end of last season.

Seems likely that he’ll just try to get round now until Paris and go for the Champs Elysee win to cap it all.

Who’d bet against it? A great Tour for him & his team even if he doesn’t.