recommendations please for a couple of interesting and beautitul places...

mint

to visit for someone coming to stay in Bordeaux for a few days.

Does anyone know any outstanding places within a reasonable driving distance of Bordeaux?

Friend of a family member is visiting and we, as residents here, have been asked for our suggestions!  As though we would know anything...having traveled very little indeed for a number of years for more reasons than easily explained.

So as not to let the side down, I told OH I'd ask on here.  Someone is bound to know, I claim confidently and airily.  So please, help....?

St Emilion .. not far .. and lots to do including sampling a few wines .. there was a little train which went around ... along the Garonne there is Cadillac and a museum of automata if that sort of thing appeals.  Castillon le Bataille where the 100 years war ended.  The countryside to the SE of Bordeaux, between the Garonne and Dordogne rivers is beautiful, not spectacular, but very English, lots of little villages.

My knowledge is out of date, but some things always appeal.  Doesn't Chessie live in 47, she might have some ideas.  We were very close to both the Gironde and Dordogne borders (ie in the top corner of 47).  It's also the Pays d'Albrecht, (sp) where Henry of Navarre was from ..

Thanks for your answers.  Guardian, I think Cognac might be a bit far.

Judith, I'd also thought St Emilion which is an easy drive.  Also how about the famed Cité du Vin?  Is that worth a visit?

Cadillac is probably worth a visit but I find Castillon le Bataille not at all an attractive town.

But that's great; I will at least have a few suggestions.  BTW, this chap visiting is loaded so no need to consider costs[:P]

Arcachon is one of my favourite places. Until the last couple of years we used to have a few days there in early October every year also the la dune du pilat the highest sand dune in europe is a short drive from there at Teste du buche. Its quite spectacular. Also the sea food is excellent around there.. From Arcachon there is a ferry across to cap ferret where there is a renowned restaurant. There is an Arcachon live webcam that you can view on the web for a feel of the place.

Hi pip, are you back in France?

Yes, I have put Arcachon at the top of my list.  A couple of years ago, I was due to stay there for a long weekend with walking friends to see the migratory birds and walk and cycle and feel alive.

You'd understand the feeling alive bit if I told you that in the end I was unable to go despite the friends' vowing to look after me and take turns to stay by my side because I was at that point more dead than alive.  At least it felt that way because this was not long after la chimio and les rayons and my lungs were in a bad state.

Perhaps one day....not that any trip like that is foreseeable at the moment.

Hi Mint sorry to hear of your problems and hope that you are picking up and getting fitter. It's sad that you missed the Arcachon holiday and walk I hope that you get there in the future. I have some understanding of how you feel as over the last 2 years have been having treatment and have been totally exhausted.

The answer to your question is no we're not back in france yet but fingers crossed hope to come over at the end of the month and really looking forward to it.

Hi pip, you too?  Alas, there seems to be quite a few of us[:(]  There are just some clubs that, however exclusive, you just don't want to belong to....[:-))]

Yes, I do hope that you get over here.  It's been a lovely summer for me, mainly because we haven't had much of a summer!  That is to say, not had any long periods of sustained heat.  Most days, we have had cool breezes and I have managed to walk for many evenings with my neighbours and others.

Could well be that summer has just been décalé, like so many other things, and that it will return when you return[:)]