Fence repair

Frank

Hi

I am currently in the process of buying a property in France and a fence on the boundary is in need of repair. The neighbour has said it is for me to repair it and it has to be done when the purchase is completed. Is there anyone who knows of any websites where I can find out who is responsible (joint responsibility etc) before I replace the fence. Many thanks for any links/advice

[quote user="Frank"]websites where I can find out who is responsible (joint responsibility etc) before I replace the fence.[/quote]

The appropriate section of the Cadastre will distinguish boundary structures which are mitoyenné and non mitoyen (the meaning of the various relevant symbols is indicated in the légende). 

You can consult it online here :

http://www.cadastre.gouv.fr/scpc/accueil.do

In the case of a wall non mitoyen, there will be a symbol (a dash) to indicate the parcel to which the wall or fence belongs.

The search facility is pretty lumpish, but it does actually work eventually.

[quote user="Frank"]Hi

I am currently in the process of buying a property in France and a fence on the boundary is in need of repair. The neighbour has said it is for me to repair it and it has to be done when the purchase is completed. Is there anyone who knows of any websites where I can find out who is responsible (joint responsibility etc) before I replace the fence. Many thanks for any links/advice[/quote]

So there is no responsibility for the current owners to keep up the boundary fence?  Just the new owner and when the purchase is completed. That must be a new french regulation that something must be done quickly.........Could change the whole country if things must be done immediately.

The neighbour is just trying it on, and even more so with an innocent Johnny Foreigner.

You do the fence as and when it suits you but first make sure it is your job and not the neighbour's.

This being said, if it is your job, acknowledge it and tell him it is in hand, thius keeping good relations.

Many thanks everyone for the replies. We thought maybe the neighbour was trying it on, but apparently, the previous owner was in the process of getting it fixed (devis etc) but sadly passed away. I think we will just bite the bullet and replace it, then there are no neighbour disputes and have a quiet life!!!! Thanks again for all input.

No matter what 'would have been done' etc or what the neighbour says, you need to find out exactly where your boundary is, because you could be putting a fence up on your neighbours land, in spite of what they say. And unless you really know, then you are inviting future problems.

Hopefully there are bornes in place.