Snakes

Cognac

LAST EDITED ON 14-Apr-04 AT 07:22 PM (GMT)

We have seen two vipers only during the last three years and lots of grass snakes which are only dangerous if you are a mouse we are told! One viper, an adult, was up a fir tree I was cutting down at the time and was not best pleased! The other was found in the middle of a swarm of bees in the house when we first arrived in France. Only a baby but it did have a bit of an attitude. I think I would also have been a bit upset if I found myself surrounded by angry bees. Bees and snake were swept out the door pronto. We are also told you can buy anti-venom to keep in the fridge but unless we are invaded by more vipers I don't think that we will bother. I always watch where I am walking when in our field!. Good luck but I don't think it is a serious problem. Most snakes are shy and will exit stage left very quickly if they feel you coming near. You might surprise one, I suppose, when it is basking in the sun. Now boars are another matter altogether. ...................................John in Dept 79

Hi,

It seems I spotted a Coluber Viridiflavus "Western Whip Snake" in our garden (in the north Dordogne) last week - probably 5' long, quite fat, quite scary:

writeup here: http://www.nafcon.dircon.co.uk/euro_snakes.html#coluberviridiflavus

Our french neighbour advised that this type may bite if it feels threatened, but is not poisonous. They apparently like overgrown, quiet areas.

"F24"

Not sure what snake it was, but while Ray was cutting the grass last summer one came a cropper in the blades of the flymo. Unfortunately Ray didn't see it until it was too late. Unfortunately for the snake too who didn't see the flymo until it was too late !! By the way, this is not a recommended way of ridding yourself of the slippery creatures - too messy !!

Jan
Correze (19)