Knot weed

Wellyboot

I wonder if anyone has any ideas how to ride our garden of the (Japanese)Knot weed. We tried pulling up by root and burning the stalks but this just encouraged the weed to grow at full pelt! Returning to France later this month and really want to have another go at it. Thanks in advance.

Wellyboot
Knotweed known by its proper name as Polygonum aviculare is a problem weed for lawns with usually a high degree of compacted turf. It will flower between July and October and shows minute white or pink flowers.

It is an annual plant and can if widespread as i get the impression yours is then you must obtain a selective weedkiller from the local gardening centre and one maybe two treatments at the most should get rid of the problem.Also good lawn maintenance at either end of the growing season will help aerating and the like.......

It is important when buying the selective weedkiller that it contains dicamba which the knotweed dislikes.

Paul Johnson (RHS Cert)

Hi

If you are referring to the perennial Japanese Knotweed (Fallopia Japonica) that grows up to 10 foot high (well it did in Colchester) this is the link to the UK environmental agency info on it
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/444217/590750/590881/136954/?version=1&lang=_e.
You may need to copy the whole link and paste into your browser as it splits up.

Digging it is useless as every single little tiny bit left will grow into a new plant and I understand that all the JK in the UK is from one single plant.

We were once told by a gardener on surveying the amount of JK around our garden and house to move, we finally took his advice.

We were helping to clear a garden in Hautes Pyrenees of this and we left a bit on a stone in the sun. It rained and the 'bit' started to grow roots! Even the area where it was burnt grew plants showing that not every cell had been burnt.

Sorry but this is something I could bore for England/France on. Finally one garden in our hamlet has a stand - they planted it as they liked it and although realise how invasive it is will not cut it down - they are not French (or English) and are not here most of the time - we would probably not have bought our barn, however much we love it had we known this. It is very wet here and it is only a matter of time before it gets out. It is probably illegal to spread it in France also but as he is not French...

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...
Good luck!!! We had it in England for 12 years, and even though I'm normally a confirmed organic we resorted to glyphosphates. Even so they had a limited success. We eventually tarmaced over it! And you know what? It grew up through the tarmac.

We just about managed to keep it in check by chopping it back so that it never, ever got to see daylight, but never eliminated it completely.

Peta

Japanese knotweed has been known to have roots 3 meters DEEP. And can break concrete slabs. There are two ways of dealing with it.

Dig it up, and remember that even if you leave just a little bit in the soil, it will start all over again, and soon. We used a mini digger to get rid of ours.

Second option Move, easier, cheaper in the long run and a lot less work.

My eldest son has just bought a house near us, and has a huge patch of the stuff. when we took the old carpet up in the house in the winter, we laid it over the patch of then bare earth , thinking we would stop it from growing, wrong, the carpet now sits 2 feet above the ground, on top of the knotweed. Next move ?

Aileen,

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for all the ideas on ridding the garden of Knotweed. We have started the process which we think will take some months, if not years. Already, just burning the stuff seems to have made a huge difference. Just being careful not to spread the stuff to other areas.