Bees - Advice please

Pushkin

We have a Bees nest right in the middle of our garden. They look like small Bumble Bees, black, gold stripe and grey bottoms but their nest is underground. Never came across Bumble Bees nesting underground in the UK. We moved here to the Charente Maritime just over a month ago and the garden was mown by a friend but otherwise has been uncultivated for many years. Can anyone give me advice as to what to do? I am super allergic to bee stings and one of our Lhasa Apsos is allergic to about everything and persist in sticking his nose into the entry points of the nest and chasing the bees when they exit! Recipe for disaster! The area will be dug up in the near future for a swimming pool so the bees will have to go eventually but I hate the thought of destroying them. We have tried a net fence round the area but this put the bees into a right old tizz so have taken it down again.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sue

See thread below this ? called bees and chickens (or other way round). Yours sound like wild bees, I used to solve this by dropping a large plastic bread tray over the nest - they will die in the winter. If you want to fence or do anything else, do it after dusk when they are inside and quiet.

Lucky you to have them, they will pollenate all your veggies and flowers. Our main attraction at the moment is a small snake shedding its skin - hopefully a grass snake but who knows and I don't care as I like snakes.

Di
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

We have a huge number of bees inside an old oak tree. Luckily we have a neighbour who keeps bees and he was going to lure them out somehow and rehouse them in one of his hives. If you ask around you may find someone to help! Hilary - Burgundy 71