Guns in France

Bbrown1664

I'm in the process of buying a house and believe that the current owner will not bother with clearing it when they sell. In the loft I have seen a .410 shotgun and need to know the legalities of keeping it. In the UK I have a shotgun certificate and understand about security of guns and ammunition etc. but need to know if the rules have changed in recent years within France.

Many years ago you could buy guns and ammunition in the supermarket with no licence requirements but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Can I keep the gun legally or do I need to get some sort of certificate in France? I believe I could add it to my UK certificate and bring it home but would like to leave it there for rats etc, we have around 4000m of land over in France to play on,

Just Clair's reply on the rule of the law so far, so all that I can offer is some indirect experience / knowledge.

I have seen three rifles on a rack just inside the front door of a near neighbour - didn't really know the man & have never been inside since. No idea on the security etc.

Other close (French) friends do indulge in pistol shooting on a controlled range. When out of use, their weapons are locked up in a safe with the ammunition & the whole setup is inspected annually by (I think) the Gendarmerie. 

I wouldn't mind betting that, whatever the regs say, if you were to ask the Gendarmerie, it'd be "Carry on dancing" (as long as you don't hit anybody!) But  please don't take that as definitive.  [:'(]

Not much help I'm afraid.

As a rule of thumb, in France shotguns* are not licenced but the owner must be if s/he wishes to kill things. You can happily own a .410 without contravening any regulations... you just can't fire it at live things unless you've passed your chasse exam.

The ONCFS site will give additional info.

* Though this may be different if they're 11-cartridge pump action monsters or similar