My lettuces have bolted!

Jsensiba

Why? They went in after the other ones and seemed to be doing well, even had the odd watering.

Perhaps this is a tale as sad as my green onions! Parsnips are appearing, rhubarb is good, melon is at last spreading, potatoes good thanks to Kaz. Sauge is appearing and my beets are well; there are tiny tomatoes on the first plant that went in.

I was planning another planting of lettuce, but think I'll not bother!

Other half is mumbling it might be easier and cheaper to buy at the market. But not as much satisfaction is there!

Julia

We have had the odd one bolt but have discovered that our brand of lettuce this year can be cut off near the root and then they grow again! Someone will no doubt tell me they all do this but to me this means fewer actual plants and wastage doesn't really matter.

Hi,

The Batavias (similar to Iceberg) I sowed in the greenhouse in early February are at various stages now - some were ready for eating many weeks ago whilst some are almost ready now.

The Lollo Rossas are doing nicely, these were planted about two months ago.

I have some of both types still in the greenhouse, whilst others were transplanted outside. Wherever they are, a lack of water seems to make them bolt.

Do have another go, they really are delicious straight from the garden.

F24

LAST EDITED ON 17-Jun-04 AT 12:44 PM (BST)

Thank you everyone. Was possible lack of water - the lettuce type was the soft many leafed type.

I think I'll give up on lettuce this year! Veg patch is in full sun with no shade!Most of the garden is full sun!

Now to plant my anti-mole seeds!

Oh I hate iceberg lettuce - reminds me of the tasteless stuff in the USA.

Julia

• 2 weeks later...
also sowing and pricking out should be carried out when the moon is descending, apparently this makes them less likely to bolt although I haven't the experience to tell