Importing Apple trees

moon

From personal experience I would say that you shouldn't have a problem, although I don't know what the 'official' position is.

Although we live in Normandy and have several hectares of cider apple trees I could not find a decent 'cooker' amongst them (or eating apple either, for that matter). I kept moaning about how much I missed the good old Bramleys and so on a trip to the UK a couple of years ago, my husband bought me a young Bramley apple tree. He imported it in his car via Caen-Ouistreham and although it was very much on view, no-one seemed remotely interested. I haven't had any fruit from it yet, incidentally but 'hope springs eternal'!

Good luck!
Susannah.

Hi Widnesbob,

we gave a friend a Bramley, it come over on the ferry in our van with other plants, we were stopped on the UK side and they looked in the van, said nothing about the plants, and went straight through at Roscoff without stopping. I hope it's growing well, I must ask them, and look forward to an apple pie or two in the future, you should have no problem.
Lindylou.

You can bring them in as an individual, the only restrictions are for commerce.

You can, but make sure they are from a reputable source and you're not importing virus and other diseases.
We brought in bramley and a James greeves; neither fared very well in our climate and soil. I now stick to local varieties which are good producers here.
Suze

I've recently ordered some crabapple trees (John Downie) and an Ashmead Kernel from www.hedging.co.uk. These will be delivered in the autumn as they are bare rooted. They have very reasonable prices (4 - 5 ft @ 6.99) and are experienced in exporting to Europe.

Pat

Hi WidnesBob,

We brought over 100 Royal Gala trees and their pollinator 5 years ago, when a certain fruit farm in the Warrington area gave up. We heeled them in and then planted them on our next trip over, we only lost two and now have a great orchard. They were on dwarf stock and at the time many locals/hunters stopped to comment that we had planted them too close but they are fine.

Does anyone have a spare cider press.....?...too many for us to eat and give away.

Warrington Washy