Forgive my stupidity!!

benson

We have an orchard with an apple tree and about 15 other trees of 2 different varieties and I don't even know what they are.  They did fruit but this didn't really help except to rule out several known possibilities!!

These trees were very neglected so we have done what everyone else appeared to be doing and lobbed off loads of branches. I presumed this was to encourage new growth and more/better fruit production but it looked pretty severe and was slightly worried we would never see fruit again (did I do the right thing?) We bought a couple of cherry and peach trees (small) and planted these just in case.

I decided to keep the orchard entirely for fruit and encouraged by our first steps into the gardening world we purchased strawberry plants, raspberries and grape vines (just a couple of each to get us started).  Now we would like to expand out into our adjoining field and plant potatoes, sweetcorn, carrots and peas etc.

So here come the daft questions

(1) If we kept chickens in the orchard would they eat the plants and not just the weeds?

(2)How large a plot would we need for the veggies ?(we are a family of 5 but are not aiming for total self sufficiency)

(3)Can you buy seeds for parsnips in France?

(4)Which variety of potato is most similar to king edward or maris piper? (best for roasting?) as I haven't seen these here (or maybe I just don't know the name in French)

Any other general advice greatly appreciated

Ta very much

P.S the locals seem to think we are crazy when they see us working in the garden instead of renovating the near derilict barn they already think we're mad for living in!!!

For just 2 of us we will have around 200 m2 under cultivation this year and we are not self sufficient but getting there. The only veg that we have needed to buy this winter are potatoes/pasta/rice, frozen peas and onions. The main culprits for space are courgettes, pumpkins etc which need to be nearly 2m apart, last year they were only 1m and that's not enough. Having studied local veg patches the French allow far more space around and between plants compared to UK probably because they have the space in the first place.

It's not really a question of how big a plot you need, more how much time you want to spend tied to the garden.

Here in N Lot spring cultivations are only just beginning, shallots and garlic have been available for a little while (but cold prevented planting until this week) and no-one has pots in yet. Young courgettes etc will probably not appear on the markets until mid-May so I have some time to prepare the land.

For potato type I would suggest studying the veg section in yr local supermarket to see what is used for what and then buy accordingly.  Last yr we tried Charlotte but I am not really convinced that the work required for good spuds is worth the effort though I am sure that we will try again with something. The Irish say that they shoud be in by St Paddy's Day so I have missed that deadline !! 

When you take into account the cost of a rotovator, fencing to keep out the rabbits, chickens etc, the giant freezer, water or electricity to pump it from yr well  and even €1  a week for yr labour there is no way that you will save money in the short term but it will keep you off the sun lounger and the food does taste better. All our neighbours grow their own and none of them give away anything in any quantity (where did that myth come from ?) and as we are 2km from the nearest shop we have to grow something of our own. It can be fun, keeps down the weight and you can feel smug.

As regards chickens, what they don't eat they will dig out with their scratching around so have no place in a veg patch in growing season but ok at other times.

HTH

John

not

Hi Benson...

First, there is nothing to forgive. If you have never done something before, seriously, you have to start somewhere.

Asking for advice is a good start. I would agree with what John (iceni) says above, especially re the chickens - they will scratch up everthing so if you have them they have to be away from any cultivated land.

There are just two of us, and at the moment we have two raised beds for veg, each about 5 meters by 1 meter. with room for wheelbarrow between. We will probably make more as time goes on.

Your fruit trees, you will have to wait and see what happens this year. Generally you cut out dead or crossing wood, and keep the centre open to let air circulate.

The very best advice I can give to is to invest in a really good gardening encyclopedia, if you are really total novices. I got mine (RHS-Royal Horticultural Society) about 6 years ago when I first got into gardening, and I refer to it constantly. Of course there are other great gardening books, I also have a couple of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall - but they are about much more, killing and cooking for food etc.

I still regard myself as a novice gardener, but it is one of the best things I have ever done. New life, all year round. What could be better?

tresco

Well, after three years of veggie gardening, I'm cutting down considerably this year.

This year I've planted rasberries and redcurrant bushes where rows and rows of veggies used to be, and am just growing tomatoes and courgettes in the raised bed and maybe a row of french beans for the freezer from now on. Wow, I feel liberated already!

As I garden professionally (and tend veggie patches for two clients), I just don't have the time or inclination to carry on at home hoeing at dawn and dusk, especially as the produce available at the local market is excellent.