red and black insects

Crjohnstone

HI

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE?

RED AND BLACK(RATHER LIKE A LONGER VERSION)OF A LADY BIRD INSECT?

WE HAVE LOADS OF THEM IN THE GARDEN THEY SEEM TO HUDDLE TOGETHER IN AREAS,  CORNERS OF TREES,UNDER THINGS, ON THINGS,THEY FLY AS WELL 

IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ADVICE ON WHAT THEY? ARE HOW TO GET RID OF THEM? ALTHOUGH THEY AREN'T REALLY A PESTS, LIKE A FLY ,

THANKS HELEN

The sound like Fire Bugs (pyrrhocoris apterus). They like to congregate in large groups - in our garden they're found around the base of a silver birch and the bottom of the barn walls. I don't believe they do any damage to anything or anyone. They're not too keen on swimming (when you water the garden).

I think they brighten the place up!

Gill

In our pharmacy window they appear with other biting or stinging insects and our carpenter had a rather nasty 'bite' from one which got caught under his shirt so I give them a wide birth or a heavy shoe when I see them.

These sound like the insects the children at school call "Gendarmes".  (Yes, the same as the police!!).  They catch them and keep them as pets in jars and things.  I hope these aren't the ones listed in the pharmacy window.  These are about 1cm, red with black spots - as you say, like a stretched ladybird.  There are lots about at the moment.

Liz