Advice needed Moving from France

betty

My somewhat complicated outlook.

Family need us overseas. We will have to become residents of their country, not EU.

One of us will return for a few months to try and sell our house which will I expect revert from being our primary maison to our maison secondaire.

We will no longer be income tax residents of France (visits of less than 180 days) but still liable for habitation and tax fonciers.

I briefly spoke to the NHS as they foot the bill for medical treatment in France, it looks like we lose our healthcare whilst visiting France and will have to surrender our carte vitals, a great pity.

Will our car and house insurance remain unaffected until sold?

I will have to talk to my notaire eventually but can anyone please offer advice beforehand?

Thank you idun but I have been caught before with my insurance companies 'advice'. I have a feeling there are extra clauses/conditions with second homes but to date I cannot find them.

I was hoping for some advice from other members with second homes and on the health coverage as well.

You say that health care has been with a carte vitale. Is that  with an S1?

This system is  a EU one so will not cover you for living  elsewhere.

You might be able to have a EHIC card issued by the UK for your visits to France, but that assumes you are covered by the UK and if you  are not residents in the UK and are living outside the EU I am not even sure that you qualify.

Thank you NormanH.

We originally came here with E121 (S1) and CPAM granted a carte vitale.

I too don’t think the NHS can offer anything as my residence will be mainly non EU despite being born in the UK. I spoke at length about my proposed situation rather than being handed a huge fine later. I will make a declaration to them when my plans are firm.

I was hoping that by still paying tax habitation and foncier there may be some sort of health cover available. I will ask.

If there is an option for me not yet discussed I thought I would ask the question.

EHIC, I don’t think so but thanks for the suggestion.

"I was hoping that by still paying tax habitation and foncier there may be some sort of health cover available. I will ask."

If you change your status to résidence secondaire owner and are no longer registered as a permanent resident then I don't think there would any chance of health cover from France.

I was hoping that by still paying tax habitation and foncier there may be some sort of health cover available. I will ask.

I'm afraid that these are local taxes that go into the local coffers and have nothing to do with heathcare.

That is funded by specific payments that are  either taken from pay or pensions (and indicated a earmarked for health on payslips) or for those who have the CMU  de Base by an quarterly payment of a percentage of income.

For EU pensioners who are actually getting a pesnion  the tab is picked up by the country that pays the pension, so the system might not be so obvious, but the basic principle in France as is almost all Europe except the UK is that healthcare is depenndant on paying contributions.

As I understand it, some travel insurance will cover you for longer periods.  Our Australian neighbours came to France this year for 4 months and when the wife had an accident on the road (not car), they paid up front but expected to recover the cost from their travel insurance.

Look, this is quite simple.

If you become no longer resident in France, how on earth could you expect to be covered by your 'competent state', which is the Uk?

You cannot just move from one state to another and expect the previous place to continue to honour your occasional health needs.

As for paying TdH & TF and feeling that they might give you some entitlement ................ well dream on. Its a bit like saying that "I pay my Council Tax, so that gives me the right to all sorts of benefits.

“Look, this is quite simple.

If you become no longer resident in France, how on earth could you expect to be covered by your 'competent state', which is the Uk?

You cannot just move from one state to another and expect the previous place to continue to honour your occasional health needs.

As for paying TdH & TF and feeling that they might give you some entitlement ................ well dream on. Its a bit like saying that "I pay my Council Tax, so that gives me the right to all sorts of benefits.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardian

You have misquoted me in your somewhat abrasive condescending post. I did not EXPECT to be covered by the UK; I was asking if there was any hope of cover as in my twilight years there may have been something beneficial to me that I had missed as I do not keep up to date with all the rules and regulations.

My thanks to the other poster’s for their more polite and helpful comments.

Betty

If you say where you are moving to (outside the UK) we might be able to help a bit more.

The NHS website has a page listing the non-EU countries with which the UK has a reciprocal arrangement for healthcare, and although it does not include such popular destinations as the USA or Canada, it does include Australia and new Zealand.

Good luck with the move, of course!

Araucaria, thank you.

It is not where I am going (USA), I have that covered. It is for health cover when I return to France. I would no longer be a French resident, just a visitor. I would be classed as a non-resident EU citizen. It has now become clear that I will need travel insurance for my return visits but thanks again for your help.

As said - unfortunately nobody has a blanket worldwide 'right' to healthcover at the expense of any one state. It's all about meeting conditions and different criteria, usually connected with your residence/your recent contributions history. Depending on your personal circumstances and what country you've decided to become resident it, that defines what sets of criteria you may potentially be able to meet. If you find you don't meet any, you will need private healthcare.

As a second home owner, I've been paying my tax d'hab etc. for many years. It entitles me to rock all.

If what you are hoping for were to be true, then anyone owning a second home in another EU member state would literally have the best of both worlds.

That just doesn't stack up, however you look at it.

"As a second home owner, I've been paying my tax d'hab etc. for many years. It entitles me to rock all.

"

So true YCCMB!

However when I needed to complain about something to the Maire and said to a French friend that I was wary of doing this as we are second home owners and not French, his reply was that we do pay taxes and therefore we are entitled to complain / have our say, just like anyone else in the village.