Bees....Oh and still they are here!!!!!!!!!

Jaydeez

We have tried posting this before but this is now a real problem....we have bees up our kitchen chimney.  We have had them now for three years and we have tried everything going from chemicals to fires to smoke bombs and the nest just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  When we return after six weeks you cannot walk on the kitchen floor for the dead bees and when you try to eat a meal they litteraly swarm....is there an answer.........please besides the normal one of this is france and nature!!!!

Tell  your Maire about the problem. They often have names of local farmers/beekeepers who will come and collect the bees.

We did this a couple of years ago and two beekeepers arrived within a couple of days.

Jan

If it is of any comfort, you are not alone. We arrived in France four years ago and were met by a swarm of bees on the living room floor and in the insert. They come each year in late spring and go when we light the first fires of winter. The swarm comes through small holes in the chimney into the grenier when the first fire is lit, I have no option but to spray them which I hate doing. They seem to be impossible to get at being between the chimney liner and the chimney wall. I suppose a queen bee come back to the nest, somewhere near the top of the chimney, each year so we cannot have killed them all.

My constant worry is that their nest could cause a fire when the liner gets hot but some have said that this is not likely. I have tried putting moth balls in the insert in summer but this has not stopped them from visiting the insert at the bottom of the chimney in large numbers where they die and form a stinking heap which needs to be vacuumed up at frequent intervals.........................John not Jackie