Ride on mowers

Markw

Can anyone tell me if it is cheaper to buy a secondhand ride on mower in the UK or France. I am looking at them in the UK, on sites like Ebay and it appears there are some bargains to be had. With all the hassle of taking it over I wondered if it was going to be worthwhile or if I would be better off getting one in Brittany. We are in Morbihan near Josselin.

Any advice would be welcome, or any outlets near our location.

Cheers

Mark

Markw

The other thing to consider is that by buying from a dealer over here in France, you will have some come back if it has problems when you get it home. You would have heaps of problems if you buy in the UK via EBay or whoever.

Then the issue of parts might be a factor too. You may have problems getting stuff to keep them going.

Hello, I say that buying here is cheaper generally and that you should think about first a quality petrol 'autotractee' mower before lashing out on a cheap 'autoportee' as the former will go on forever and cause you less grief. I use a 53cm honda powered honda own brand for even quite large areas of around 3000m2 although if you're lawn is perfectly square and flat then it is quicker with a ride-on. Just think of the exercise walking everywhere!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

New Honda HF2147HME Hydrostatic 40" cut twin cylinder very reliable high quality machine.

Bottom price in France 3849euros  U.K 3154euros thats 620 less!!!

Should pay for the signwriting on my van!

Assuming the motor is the usual Honda quality and I can replace belts and fiddle etc then there is no worries about importing especialy as a family member works for a freight ferry entreprise.

Mind you... I have seen some***** machines out there... real belt burners with motors so loud you need earplugs and defenders! I have waited until I really found enough clients that warrant the purchase of a garden tractor and been offered several by the said clients who have spent days on end of their precious holiday mending said***** mowers.

Looked at the John Deere, even better build quality but quite pricey in comparison for a small entreprise just now. Let you know how my machine gets on...

Why would you want to buy Honda spares in the UK - the machines are made in Ormes. All the parts for your machine are available in the usual dealer network here.

You should negotiate a spare pair of blades (mulching ones are dearer so go for these) and two spare blade mounting blocks with the purchase. You will need them when you hit something other than grass!

Our 40" Hydro Honda has just clocked up 140 hours, and is going fine. We change the oil and filter every 25 hours. All the belts are original. We paid 2700 Euro in 2003, which was the same in pounds in the UK!

Our older Honda has just required a gearbox, which was 1000 Euro. It has just done 550 hours. I wouldn't recommend a manual gearbox mower.

I have just bought a Husqvarna ride on mower, 107cm cut twin cylinder Kawasaki engine, the quoted price in Euro was about the same as in Sterling in the UK, however I went around all my local agents and brokered a deal which reduce the price from 3570 Euro to 2850 Euro which included a free mulching kit, spare blades and filters plus delivery.

Just keep trying, deals are available, the more so the nearer autumn we get.

Irrespective of the technicalities, we have the maison2 in Normandy, and as all you 50 bods will know, there is a Growing Season in the spring when the gentle (?) warm rain comes. You go away for a couple of weeks, come back, and you find a lush tropical verdure that you could lose a double decker bus in.

There just does not seem to anything that will hack its way through this stuff without stalling, exploding or at least require replacing every couple of years. We have partially solved it by offering free hay to our neighbour (barter for eggs:tongue, but surely there must be some way of dealing with the undergrowth.

Jim (Oxfordshire and 50 Jungle)

Ah... thats easy! I have a 'Kiva' debrousiallous (excuse the spelling) autoportee or a self propelled brushcutter. It is 9hp and mulches all in its path! It cost me 2500euros and is my bread and butter mower as most of my gardens are renovations. There is a more powerfull model with 13 hp at 4000euros available. I am certain that this will never break, it is built like a tank but easy to use. Far better than your ride-on trash at the same price point... the ones with 5.5/6hp will only cut sparser dryer grass without clogging but are good value all the same at around 700euros+.