Chainsaws - which brand and where to buy?

Montybird

Hello everyone,

We need to replace our chainsaw and wonder if we could ask for your thoughts/recommendations before handing over our cash. 

We need it for thinning out a small wood on our land and to saw up logs into manageable sizes for our stove. 

We've been looking at the Husqvarna models today which seem to be the dogs bxxxxxxs, but maybe you know different?

Thanks

Jules

Hi - we have a stihl and it's good. However, when it was away being serviced we borrowed friend's husquvana (sp?) and it was definitely the bee's knees!

Can't remember the model number, but I'm a girlie and I could start it easily and it wasn't too huge to handle. Go for it!

PS Don't forget to buy all the safety equipment that goes with it. Saw someone chainsawing today wearing shorts!!!

Hi Jules,

We bought our Stihl from a tiny workshop that looks like it's been there for 100 years in Brantome, opposite our Notaires office. He is extremely helpful and is an engineer as well, so much better than buying from one of those large Brico shops as he sharpens chains and repairs/services them on site.

I need to take mine in for a service, so if you like, we could go over at the same time and I could show you where it is. Give us a call or email me,

Susie (Lisle)

You can buy chainsaws in the hypermarkets, usually partner or McCullough, they are much much cheaper than elsewhere and a fraction of the cost of the brands mentioned.  For those brands, Stihl, Husqvana etc you need to shop around as prices vary widely.  The problem with the cheap ones is that if they go wrong, do not expect much help from a supermarket, they sell food not chainsaws.

As with most things, you pay your money and take your choice, no matter what make or model you get, the key to efficient use and safety is keeping the chain sharp, it will soon get blunt on any make of saw if you are cutting dirty or hardwood, so getting a good replacement chain is as important as the saw itself.

Choosing a chain saw is a compromise between the size of the blade (guide and chain) and the power of the motor.  Too small a blade and you will have difficulty cutting larger logs, too small a motor and it will stop in wettish wood.  The heavier the saw the more difficult it will be to use.  Electric saws are generally quieter and more powerful (per euro spent) than petrol saws and a lot lighter.  With 50metre cable reels for sale for only a few euros, why not.

Blades usually come in sizes 35cm, 40cm, and 45cms (40cms recommended).  Electric saw motors can be 1.4Kw and above (1.7Kw or more recommended).

Castorama presently has an offer of an USA manufactured chain saw, 45cm with 2Kw motor for 79 euros.

Download your chain saw safety information from

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag301.pdf

I was a professional logger in Ireland for more than 8 years and conclude the following withr egard to chainsaws and brands.

Cheap saws are a waist of money.

electic saw are good if you have a small holding or a suburban block as the noise factor is much reduced.

If you have a medium or large holding you need a 2 stroke motor for versitility.

If your cutting mainly soft woods then Husqavana is the best choice as it revs higher and enjoys fibrous woods with the faster chain speed. Get a semi professional all round model say 245 P or XP, with a 13 " bar its a delightful saw.

If your cutting mainly hardwood then you'll enjoy Stihl as they have more touque and naturally rev slower but wouldn't fade on you when it gets tough. a semi pro model would be a 240 or a 340 , both delightful saws, the 260 and 360 are even better but very touchy about the oil you use... if you get it wrong they will cease in a heartbeat.

More important that all of this is safety equipment. Do not buy a saw without also buying safety trousers, helmet, gloves and boots. Do not use your saw without this kit.

If you ignore this adise and go ahead thinking that your invincable then when you get a bite from the blade you'll regret ever owning a saw... that is if you survive. A chainsaw is more dangerous than a loaded gun.

Use it with a great deal of care and be protected.

I do take your point Hendo as a professional,  but for the occasional log cutting what difference does it really make, as long as you get a decent chain and keep it sharp?

"Cheap saws are a waist ( sic) of money".........  is a bit of a sweeping statement, if you saw a sign that said "Stihl chainsaws half price" would they not be cheap?? Or are you really saying that in your opinion, Partner, McCullough etc are cheap and therefore no good?  I have had a McCullough for three years now and had no problems with it whatsoever, a man in the trade once told me that some of the so called cheap machines are actually made by the same companies as the dear ones, the one I use being a case in point, so in some cases are you just buying the name?

• 2 weeks later...

An update to planned purchase of new chainsaw.  Husband went to Mr. Bricolage. "Non monsieur, sold out."  Ok, could he have the demo model?  "Yes, monsieur, but no 2 year guarantee, just a year and no extra chain as advertised."  And the price? "139 euros monsieur, the same as promo price."

So, we're still looking for a new chainsaw.