Where to buy manure for an organic garden

Paolo

We are going to plant a 40 sq m patch as an organic fruit and veg garden. I could do with some advice on where to find some well composted manure - the soil is not too bad but it could do with a lift. I suppose I could buy it in bags from a garden centre but that would be really expensive for 40 sq m. If I call a stables, the manure would be too fresh wouldn't it? Any ideas on where to start calling would be most welcome.

Paolo

I get manure from the stables and yes it is a little bit too fresh, but I put it in the compost bin to mix with the kitchen and garden waste.  Auchan have bags of lovely well composted (black) horse manure for €3.65 though I can't remember the volume 10k/25k - I'm not sure, I'll have a look when I next go. Garden centres tend to be very expensive, some Brico sheds may stock sacks of it cheaper then the GCs.

Try your local waste recycling plant - in my area you can get free well rotted compost, you have to have quite a lot of it but you can pick it up by the trailer load.

If you do want to use fresher horse manure, mix it with some garden lime, it will reduce the acidity of the urine.  I'm doing that for a new hot bed atm.

Don't assume that you won't be able to get well-rotted horse manure............it may be worth asking round people who keep their horses at home, rather than at a stables. We have 2 (soon to be 3) muck-heaps on the go, the first one is coming up to 2 years old now, and has all but disappeared - what is left is really good stuff - I'm going to plant my courgettes in it this year!

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...