Grass Cuttings

Deimos

Just started the ongoing spring task of cutting the grass (takes me about 2 full days to get it all cut). Struck me that quite a lot of the time is spent emptying the grass cuttings so, why not mulch (sic ?).

I have always collected grass cuttings as I thought that leaving them on the grass they would form clumps and the grass beneath would then die and you would end-up with patches.

However, is it a good idea to leave the cutting on the grass to rot back into the ground. (also my lawn is very uneven so the idea about leaving stuff to rot back in strikes me as a particularly good idea.

Pros/Cons, Do’s/don’ts. I’m a complete novice when it comes to gardening but have worked out how a lawn mower works (not a skilled task).

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

If the grass is very long you're better off collecting it this time.

You can use it in thinish layers (about 6inches) on the compost heap. If you put more than that on it just turns into a stinky sludgy mess.

Once the grass is short, you can leave the cuttings on, and they do act as a mulch

Many thanks

Am I right in assuming that if short enough and left on the grass then it will do the grass some good (i.e. nutrients). Also, if there are weeds growing in the grass are the cuttings best collected or (provided the seeds are not “ripe”) can they still be left OK.

Ian

Ian, I should have paid more attention to the size of the area you're mowing.

If it's a field and it's already got weeds on it, they are going to multiply like mad, whether you leave the cuttings there or not. 

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the grass cuttings left lying use some of the nutrients in the process of decomposing, thus depriving the growing grass.  Nitrogen rings a bell but could be bulldust. Just a thought, probably wrong but most people do collect it up.

Anne

“Lawns” and orchard. However, living remotely amongst fields there are a lot of weeds (a lot of diversity in all the ditches, etc. between the fields that spread seeds everywhere).. Also, a significant amount of wildlife in the ground means it all gets very uneven. The reason it take such a time is both the area and the fact that its actually split into several (5) areas and trees to cut round. Probably about 10hrs work in practice (each bit probably a couple of hours to cut). Last year I had just a small 14inch push mower – and that was really *** when the sun was out, but helped keep me fit. However, that go so beat-up, I got a 20” one that drives the wheels which is easier. I have considered a sit on type but to be honest there are so many edges etc. it would not save a lot of time (and I’d still need the smaller ones for edges, river banks, etc.).

I’m a bit reserved about too much grass weed killer stuff (don’t like chemicals too much) so don’t want to encourage the weeds more than necessary. However, first cut of the grass (part of it anyway) yesterday struck me that a significant part of my time was walking between compost heap and mower (emptying grass collection box thingy). Also, continual cutting of the grass will effectively be continual removal of nutrients (though no idea on what timescale this will have a noticeable effect).

(And I’m already having to start re-cutting the field where I planted all the trees. Managed a couple of hours there the other day and did not cut down a single of the trees – so far anyway).

At least the phenomenal growth seems to be a spring/early summer thing and through previous summers it seems to slow down massively. Hard work but does not go on through the entire summer.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks

Ian

Ian, it's late and I'm giddy, so bear that in mind.[:)]

'Lawns' you shuld try and keep weed free; they just look better.

This takes time and patience, and you need certain tools, pointy things I cannot name, but it's worth it.

That said, I would advise keeping 'lawns' to enough space for a few people to lounge around together on the grass.

Otherwise you get resentful, because of the work involved, like my brother, who sprays water on 'his' supposedly public garden lawns to stop people sitting on them[:-))]

The rest I would just let it do its own thing.

[Tresco said] “Ian, it's late and I'm giddy, so bear that in mind. ”

Well, despite intending to get to bed early, I’ve been “at the wine box” so by now am a little more than giddy.

Its very difficult to describe layouts and things as I am pretty constrained by house, road and rivers. The work does not bother me too much as its quite easy – knackering but I know how to use the mover and it just takes time and gets done. Once cut it does not look too bad. Might be a lot of weeds in it bit at least it looks green. I always reckon I’ll never get rid of the weeds as, despite my own overgrows fields (one less now), all the ditches and wild areas around are full of weeds all spreading their seeds each year. That’s life and where I live. I just try to minimize it and keep the grass/weed balance as much in favour as grass as possible. If I can get it to be a bit better year on year than I’m happy.

I have got one pointy thing (believe its called a fork ? – but still to learn what to do with it) – you may have guessed I’m not a great gardener. However, following (your and others advice I now also have 160 additional trees to look after !!)

Ian

No worries.

The pointy thing I mentioned was a smaller version of a fork, specially for getting weeds out of lawns. Dandelions, they are the truly evil buggers. I spray them too, if they are big, because you cannot get the whole root out and they will just grow again. I do it carefully and sparingly, with a thing called (or containing) Glypsophate.

I don't believe it is totally harmless, as the box says, and I don't use it near veg etc, but it does zap the vigorous weeds.

I think I  would use it round new baby trees, about a metre diameter, otherwise they will be competing for food and water.

The rest, yes, that's fair enough. It looks green. All the neighbs would be the same if they weren't spraying a ton of poison on it every year.[:(]

[Tresco commented] “Dandelions, they are the truly evil buggers”

Off topic but each year I get quite a few in the fields (they’ve started already this year). Last year, as I was walking the dogs I took to pulling out the flowers (less flowers - >fewer seeds -> fewer next year). They my younger dog decided this was a great game and she started catching the flowers as I threw them up. Now its started again this year – she wants to play the same game again, so we do. However, other dog wants to join in but doesn’t fully understand so he just marches up to the dandelion and bites the flower off !! Youngster doesn’t like this so she will now hunt out the dandelion flowers and rush up to them, biting the flower (intending to show my where one is but actually also biting the flower off).

So I now have two dogs who on the command “find dandelions” will rush off and start weeding the field.

The “de-weeder” device sounds interesting as I also have a few of those spiky weeds that grow out flat. Useless description. A bit like a cross between an dandelion and a thistle that can grow to e.g. 9 inches in diameter. Might give Gamm Vert a visit tomorrow (is I’m below the limit by then).

Never trust the poisons much because the dogs do eat quite a lot of grass and other vegetation. On occasions they ill eat dead stuff and I’d hate them to eat any poison killed stuff. I also try not to have any poisons around the place as they (dogs) often spend time wandering round the barns/stables whilst I’m working and you never know what they sniff-out and “taste” – thus I try to keep everything safe for them.

Ian

You are the most holy of all virgin gardeners aren't you?

It is my understanding that each tiny invisible cell of a dandelion can recreate itself from one single cell.

So, when I cut my 'field of weeds' yesterday, I was responsible for creating 3000 million more of them.

PS, even when you cut them down, the flowers can still mature and make seeds which will then.... Oh, they are evil Triffids, and they WILL take over the world.

Dandelion erradication the easy way.

Cut off the leaves at ground level.  Pour a little salt onto the milky white sap weeping from the roots.  Put the leaves in a salad with a little vinaigrette.  (Put them anywhere else and as Tresco says you run the risk of them regrowing.)

Repeat as necessary.

Seriously it will stop the roots regrowing after a couple of times and should do not serious harm to the environment provided you are not too heavy handed with the salt.

Only possible downside is that dandelions are not know as "pisse en lit" for nothing.  they are a strong diuretic - but that could be possitive too. 

[quote user="Tresco"]

PS, even when you cut them down, the flowers can still mature and make seeds which will then.... Oh, they are evil Triffids, and they WILL take over the world.

[/quote]

Try living next to a field of rape plants [:@] . The last time they were planted in the field was 3 years ago and we are still getting the bl**dy things appearing in our garden ! I just wish I had enough to make it worth my while to convert my car [:P]

I think having  some goats is a good idea, you can have fresh milk and have a bash at making your own yoghurts and cheese and a good West Indian style curry when they pop their clogs.  ( sorry Christine, do I have to go to the naughty corner again?)

Ian - You say that you've considered a ride-on but maybe that is the route you really ought to take. I hardly use a push along at all now. It takes such a short time to do a reasonable job, especially in the height of the growing season when the lawns need cutting weekly. The bonus is that partners and guests also enjoy using the ride-on so lawn mowing won't be soley your job.

All the edges, around the trees and the river bank can be done quickly with a strimmer.

Get one with a mulcher attachment and don't bother with a grass box as you will just end up with a mountain of grass cuttings at the end of the summer to dispose of.

Just think how much extra time you will have for relaxing and contemplating weed growth!