unheated greenhouse

seb47

We've just finished constructing a polycarbonate greenhouse and I'm wondering if it's safe to put in all my small and tender tomato seedlings etc. At 8.45 pm the temp inside the greenhouse is 28 degrees and I'm assuming outside temp tonight will be about 5. Any advice? I know it's early, but will the high daytime temp sustain my babies through the night? Thanks, Sue.

PS we are in Lot et Garonne.

No problem I'd say, but if you lose a few, then you lose a few.

If you had an appropriate space indoors, they'd be indoors presumably?  All my tender plants are completely outside tonight and I don't expect to lose anything. Hope not, anyway!

Biggest danger are the bloody sanglier, but that's another story.

Thanks Tresco and Ian, I'll give it a go then - we tested the temp last night with the weather station - at 8 pm it was 28 in the greenhouse, then overnight when down to minimum 10. I think they'll be OK at that.

Happy gardening (last potatoes to dig in today!). Sue.

I've been toying with the idea of a greenhouse - I left two behind in the UK.

Loads of adverts for them in this week's Rustica but does anybody have any advice on the best source for them in France, prices etc or whether a polytunnel would be better?  Understand that the polytunnel isn't as aesthetically pleasing but it may be more practical for me.

Potager nearly finished - 7 raised beds, absolutely cream crackered but started a nice tan.

TIA

Out of interest what size and price was it..........I bought a

polycarbonette (?? spelling) one last year but some of the panels blew

off in the wind and I would love to have a glass one again.... I had 2

in the UK and wish I'd brought the large one with me.

aj

I am not convinced about the attractions of having a greenhouse in France. Certainly south of the Loire. When we lived in Charente I bought an 8 x 10 greenhouse with the idea of extending the growing season and over wintering various plants. The actuality was that in the summer it was impossible to use it due to the temperatures and in the winter it was impractical to heat due to the base temperatures being about -5. I loved my greenhouses in England but I think that one must adapt to the local conditions.

Saddie, on the whole I agree with you, but it's really the 'potting shed' aspect I miss; you know, when it's raining in the Autumn or Spring, but you can still go out and do things in the greenhouse.

I can't think of a single greenhouse round here. Everyting I would have had in the GH is just next to the house, but not covered by anything.

As you say, it would be  useless in the late Spring, or early summer, but for someone who really wants one to use in late Autumn/Winter you could have one of those little heaters? 

From the temperatures you have cited your plants would probably by fine

outside - I would just keep an eye on night time temperature and put

some fleece over them if it look like going below zero.  28C is

pretty hot - it may be too warm in the greehouse for some young plants

Hastobe

we do not heat but use to start off seeds and although have had some tomatoes in it last year +30 plants outside  intend only to use as initial start up and perhaps try melons inside.

we did use a whitewash which i made myself as impossible to find locally;

we bought an automatic opener for the roof glass from uk but sometimess it stuck closed and then when it did open it could have been dangerous as glass may have broke.

as another person stated it is good when weather is poor as my wife hates winter and since this one has been particularly long,cold and wet in our area of southern limousin near coussac bonneval it has been a boon to get things started about a month ago and veg.mainly started and some flowers as we are not keen on annuals and prefer sshrubs and perennial plants to save some time .

the frost a week ago killed off a nice wisteria starting to bud but we will get a later flowering as same happened last year.

we go to

a

small garden club with french dutch and english at jumilhac le grand and have arranged a FREE open day next monday 1 may from 1000-1800 where you can swop plants and tools and local pepiniers will be present selling.Tombola, animations demonstations and buvette  so bring all the family and children.MURIEL AND ALAN

YOU CAN ALSO JOIN CLUB MEETING MONTHLY WED.EVENING830-1030.

[quote user="Ab"]

we do not heat but use to start off seeds and although have had some tomatoes in it last year +30 plants outside  intend only to use as initial start up and perhaps try melons inside.[/quote]

An unexpected benefit of the underfloor heating we've installed (in the house, I mean) is that it's proving excellent for germinating seeds in trays. Little gentle heat from below is working wonders. So if any of you have underfloor heating... think laterally!