garden roller

berger

hi,

would anybody be able to tell me where i could buy a garden roller ? i have not yet seen one for sale in the usual places, and i'm laying quite a lot of gravel soon, so any help would be appreciated.

i am located in dept 17 near st savinien.

many thanks

monty

We laid 25 tonnes of gravel last year in front of the house and up the drive.  We didn't bother with a roller - a garden roller on that is not going to make a huge impression anyway, I wouldn't have thought.  It soon bedded in all by itself.

Get the delivery man to spread it for you from the lorry - saves a lot of work (though it still took 2 days of barrowing to finish this).

On delivery:

[img]http://www.normandie-chambres.co.uk/housefrontstraight1.jpg[/img]

2 days later:

[img]http://www.normandie-chambres.co.uk/housefrontstraight2.jpg[/img]

Phil

If you need the roller just for a one-off job you can probably hire

one. Look in the pages jaunes under locations, one of the headings not

sure which. We hired a motorised roller once for such a job. Pat.

hi again,

thankyou, cassis your pics are great, and patf thanks i know i can hire it, but thought i will need one in the future aswell ,so wanted to price one up as i have a lot of ground work to do, but yes it would probably work out cheaper to hire one. i have only about 7 cubic metres to lay, but most of that will be on a area for dogs, so wanted to bed it in best as poss, on the other hand i do have three kids so i could roll them around a bit !

thanks again

monty

I have a similar job to do and would like to ask Cassis or anybody, did you lay your gravel on anything in particular ? Or did you put it straight down onto the existing surface ? I have a lot of areas to do, paths through the garden etc which I will dig out and put down a base first. But the courtyard to the front of the house, similar to Cassis' in look, has an existing scalpings covering, albeit mixed with soil and liberally covered with weeds at the moment. I wondered if I could just scrap this back to remove the top layer of soil and vegetation, or do I need to work even harder....I fear that I might know the answer..

Gabe

p.s. Cassis, think it was you, great tip about the nettle plant feed ! Is it folial or just around the base of the plant ?

Plant feed - either.

We had fairly well packed earth and the odd patch of gravel here and there when we arrived.  Mainly mud in wet weather.  Sprayed the lot with Sodium Chlorate before the gravel arrived, spread it, didn't do anything else (scraping or otherwise) - see original pic. No problems in the 2 years since - the odd weed, but they pull up very easily (the average depth of gravel is about 4 cm packed down) or some say spray with the weedkiller once a year in spring.  We haven't had to bother with the latter.  You could lay a membrane but it all adds to the cost - you can buy a lot of weedkiller for what it costs to membrane a big area.  And membrane won't stop them completely anyway, you'll still have to pull them up as they germinate between the gravel bits whatever you do and debris (dust, leaves) eventually forms a rootable layer on top of the membrane and under the gravel.