What does a 'petrol' chainsaw run on?

Le_Jars

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

I think it's a case of "familiarity breeds contempt", but it's worrying none the less. I wonder what the official figures are for chain saw injuries in France?

[/quote]

My uncle got very familiar with his and chopped his fingers off in the attic.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

"I haven't got the chain-clogging pants but I do like safety boots and heavy gloves when preparing the old firewood"

Most common cuts Cassis are the left leg and left foot cut. So what do you wear for your firewood cutting Cassis? A good old pair of jeans and a hefty pair of boots? Boy that sounds sooo safe!

[/quote]

Yep, that's what I wear.  The chain saw itself locks into a special pivoting vice on the end of the timber horse and only moves in a limited arc up and down the end of the horse.  It is sooooooooooooo safe!  Unless I stick a leg up on the horse by accident.

Edit: The boots are mainly in case I drop a log!

Yes, they do save a lot of effort and it means you can have both hands

free to heft the log into place and leave the chainsaw in its holder.  Unfortunately you still have to lift the logs onto the horse.  Hang on, what's a wife for, if not lifting logs?

What a gutsy women, she's proof that you can do anything you want.

Interestingly drawknives are amongst my favourite tools too, I have five of them and use them for anything from debarking to 'texturing' green oak timbers. The sound that a razor sharp drawknife makes as it slices into timber is wonderful.

Good link, thanks Cassis

Chris