Tip for today saving money on seeds

Pun

when your next having a salad that has tomatoes and you enjoy that variety, keep the seeds and put them in some dry tissue paper in a dry place and let them  

dryout, in a few weeks time they can be sown in a seed compost with the use of a glass cover and set on a south facing window ledge "indoors"

and in a few weeks you,ll have signs of a new plant.

or keep the seeds until january and sow them ready for spring,[I]

Yes you could do that, but, if they are a hybrid variety of Tomato bred for their fruit , then if you use one of their seeds it will  be nowhere near the quality of the parent plant , ie the tomato you ate and enjoyed. Most commercialy grown tomatoes are hybred.

Seeds are a sore topic here. Having nurtured two types of Ipomnea: Flying Saucers and Grandpa Otts I now discover that they are all the same - what happened to the pale blue and white ones pictured on the Flying Saucers Packet ?

Similar with nasturtiums, some described as trailing/climbing really are not either!

If my Blue Fountain Delphiniums are not what they say on the packet I may have a tizz [:@]

In the Uk Amateur Gardening magazine nearly always a packet of seed on the front, its a handy magazine too.

Hello Opas,

Many thanks for your reply,

Ive just had a bread roll toms and salad cream, the toms came from the seed of my own plant that the seed came from a friend who gave me this idea, and at the time of him giving me the plant I,d said the tom,s from the super market had next to no taste at all, infact more like water,

he said try this method for real taste, so maybe the s/markets are breeding none hybreds,

just try the s/market ones yourself and see if you agree, and your paying for them,

good gardening.[:-))]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

If my Blue Fountain Delphiniums are not what they say on the packet I may have a tizz [:@]

[/quote]

Perhaps you could have a go at growing B6[img]http://bestsmileys.com/flowers/16.gif[/img]

Pun I quite agree about supermarket tomatoes, no taste or very little at best.

My favorite sandwich has absolutely got to be tomato and mayo, c`est tout. The ones I have growing now are so sweet ,tasty and have an aroma that just says EAT ME.

The same has to be said for the Cucumbers, they taste so much more that just  well watery. I could go on about the gardn peas and dwarf beans and everything else I have growing but I am sure I would be preaching to the converted.

There is also nothing nicer than being on the potager at 6.30 in the morning when it is still cool and dewy...........so relaxing.

[quote user="Opas"]

There is also nothing nicer than being on the potager at 6.30 in the morning when it is still cool and dewy...........so relaxing.

[/quote]

I quite agree Opas.  I remember when I used to visit my grandpa in Wales during the summer from London he always grew his own veg.  Being a city kid I had never seen the dew on a cobweb in sunshine before.  I did not know how veg grew.  His garden was high on a hill will lovely views and I would walk around it finding things early in the morning in silence. He used to pick a lettuce and put it in a bowl of vinegar for me I would eat the whole lot.

The smell of tomatoes in the green house was like nothing on earth.  Wonderful memories.  When I get to france a potager is a must for me.

Hi again,

Its funny or should I say us gardening lot are funny, when we sold our home of 27 years I had a last private walk around my old garden, full of memories and silent whispers of the years gone by, my old dog rest under the weeping willow tree, the many hours I,d spent gardening and that "I,ll just finish this last bit off love then I,ll be in for me dinner,"

The back troubles like many gardeners I have every now and then were caused by doing that last bit of planting in the rain and getting soaking wet in that fine mist kind of rain,

yes that last day of leaving that garden was a goodbye to my old dog and a thought for the new people, your in for a nice surprise in the spring, daffs like you,ve never seen, flowering cherry white and pink, that wonderful smell of ribes, the large lawn coming awake for the summer, not to mention the veg ,

We moved to a better climate but a garden untouched for 15  years, fruit trees that had apples we,d never heard of, soil that grows veg much faster than Wales, and a garden 6 times bigger,and moles 6 times bigger.

But although this garden is at last starting to look like a garden some times I have that grit in my eye when I think of the old garden and what I left and hoping the new people are looking after it and those silent whispers ,[:(] 

Pun, your story made me cold.  I understand how you feel.  Where was your old garden and where is your new one?  There is a lady on this forum who posts pictures of how her garden has evolved.  It is very interesting.  It would be lovely if you could do the same.  There are many good gardeners here.  I unfortunately am not one of them.  I am off out now but will hope you will reply on my return. 

PS I am still waiting for the tomatoes to flower.

Oh pun you just brought tears to my eyes, I too have spent many years of toil, laughter and pain the day we buried my old dog that i had for 19 years in my garden. the green house my hubby brought me for my 40th birthday, all the plants given to me by friends, some of whom arnt here any more, and the memories of parties and meals sat out with friends, the quite moments when its just me and the wildlife, the cosy moments sat with my cats, and the fun of showing the then puppy(now plant eating monster)the garden. When we ever leave here it will break my heart, but those. memories and the million photos i,ve taken will always be with me. Id love to see your phots of what your doing now, I have only a small gardn in france, which is all grass at the moment but i will have a look while im out there in august take lots of photos and spend this winter planning what im going to do with it. Dont you find the sitting in a cosy corner just planning is some times the best bit..............[:D]   

Congrats, KKK!  Are you growing them outdoors?  Don't forget to keep them well watered (avoids blossom end rot) and keep an eye out for potato blight (yellowing and browning of leaves, scabs on the fruit).  Any idea what variety you've got?

Here are our toms in the greenhouse last year - we've got them both in and out this year.  The greenhouse ones are already this high and are fruiting, well ahead of the outdoor ones.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/sausage4.jpg[/IMG]

Well done KKK now when you get a little ball behind your flower start to feed once a week. If you have got them in pots make sure they stay watered, dont let them dry out

Wow cassis they look very impressive, is that good looking chappie you or another member of your family?

Do you feed your toms? if so what with? are you organic or not? can you grow your cucumbers out side there as well?

I'm not organic but my veg and fruit are.  Yes, that is me. 

Toms are planted on top of a bed of half-composted nettle tops - theory is the nettles fertilise the toms as they rot down.

Jude didn't want me to grow cucumbers for some reason.  At present she is labouring under a pea, bean and courgette glut.  This year's toms are just starting to ripen so she'll be complaining about those this time next week.

This was our veg plot early last year when all we had was a rotovated patch, some newly planted roses (well, we like some colour!) and a couple of newly planted willow men.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/willowmen1.jpg[/IMG]

This was it last week.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/potager1.jpg[/IMG]

Doesn't take long, does it? [:)]

The willowman and woman have put on a bit of weight, too.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/willowmen4.jpg[/IMG]

Gardening can definately be therapeutic, full of highs and with a few lows. We manage to grow lots of veggies  but mostly by default. When we see plants/seeds etc on sale in the market, we think that it must be the correct time to plant them. Mostly with success but with a few failures. Red pots I planted this year ,my neighbour said were in the ground much too early, digging them now and they are fine.Another patch of spuds [ lost the label ] have all got the blight and skins are pitted. one batch of broad beans brilliant and tasty, the other patch half the size and only tasty to blackfly.3 patches of various onions seem to be OK,I've just bent the tops over as I seem to remember my father doing that when they started to yellow.If they rot I will be in dead trouble.Haricot beans doing well.Eating cherry toms/lettuce/courgettes. Raspberries picked and in 7 pots of jam.The pumpkins are going all over the place and I'm looking forward to pumpkin soup with onions/garlic/yellow lentils/little bit of ground ginger and veggie stock +black pepper+to bulk it up a few spoons of small pasta.A good winter warmer. White and black currants allin jam+ loads of rhubarb jam,a favourite with visitors. Lupins this year were a disaster but dahlias are huge and plentifull.Just planted out our brussel-sprout plants,grown from seed and dug up the parsnip batch as nothing seemed to be coming up and just to spoil my day I've found woodworm in my dibber.Obviously a sign of old age!!

Regards. B&B St.Malo.   ourinns.org

It looks loverly, Is that one of the annoying customers hanging off the post at the end of the garden or a bird scarer[Www]

I like your green men have you named them ?I will get out with my camera tomorrow and get some photos of my patch

mean while there a techno question for you on C are you there, if you dont mind [:)]

[quote user="pads"]

I like your green men have you named them ?I will get out with my camera tomorrow and get some photos of my patch

[/quote]

I've replied to your other post - let me know if it doesn't work like that in IE and I'll switch over.

They are called Will and Wanda.

I like your garden Cassis, very nice and TIDY!!  Not at all like ours, where's all the old tyres and dead stuff heaped on the paths?

Seriously, it looks great and well done, clearly a lot of work has gone into it, it's certainly a garden I could live with.

Best, Chris

Well, the straw and grass mulch was your idea - and what a good one.  I've only had to water twice despite long dry spells and it's cut down enormously on the weeding.

If anyone has few willows growing in their garden suitable for coppicing (ours are in a in a mixed boundary hedge) I thoroughly recommend having a go at weaving live willow - so easy.  Here's an arbour, for instance, that was made from cuttings this February.  It's not difficult, took an afternoon.  Just dib holes in the ground about 20cm deep with a metal bar, shove in the wands and weave them as you see fit.  Top up the holes with compost and keep moist and weed free the first year.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/Willowarbour.jpg[/IMG]