A tip for the newer gardener.

Pun

another trick i have is (for small plants in pots) wrap the pot in a plastic bag fill a large bucket with water, drop the plant into the bucket so the plant is covered and gentally wash all the leaves and stems and they just float off.

[quote user="chris pp"]

I'm not sure which bit you are referring to, the taking of cuttings or the method, Pun has views on this and it's not about which way is correct, personally I wouldn't do it at this time of year, especially in parts of France where the climate is hotter and dryer. I think that I would also approach the opening out and shaping of currents somewhat differently as well.

Anyway, red currents, white currents, black currents and grapes all take very easily simply by taking a length of  ripe growth, 30 cm or thereabouts would be fine, ( in October / Nov in my opinion ) , cutting just below a bud and inserting directly into the soil about half / half but it really doesn't need to be too precise unless you enjoy using a measure and a spirit level.

In the spring they should start to grow, but it may be as well to keep well watered initially as the roots will be rather fragile, again in warmer / dryer parts of France this needs to be considered more.

Chris.

[/quote]

Chris.

Do red and White currants fruit on this year's growth like blackcurrants, or on old wood? I only ask because I was about to lay waste with the cutters and snip/pick the reds (as above for blackcurrants) when it occured to be that they might not be of the same habit and I'd be nobbling the poor things for next year.

p

They fruit at the base of the previous year's shoots and on spurs on older wood - not on the currant year's growth. [:)]

Normal time to prune red and white currants is spring if it is a bush form (rather than cordon or fan) and need tidying up.

I've had to stick large garden canes into the ground near my currents and raspberries, and even paint the tops of the canes bright red, to stop the wife mowing them to the ground when the grass gets long in the spring[:@] Some of them have been in the ground for 3 years and are still only a few inches high![:@]

Alcazar