What can I grow now?

Unknown

Good evening folks,

Had a busy day, weeding and removing some dead veggies from my patch today.  The peas were a disaster, too hot I think and the spinnach was eaten by black fly.

My potatoes and onions are ready to dig up, and I was wondering once they have been removed, what can I put in their place.

Ideally I would like to plant something I can eat this year, rather than wait until next, I know I'm just too impatient.

Any ideas

Thanks

D-T ..........

Much the same.  Tried feve this year, but pathetic. Similarly my flageolets were burned to a cinder - just a couple of meals off them.

My new theory is to seed flageolets again mid-late Aug and see what I get come late Oct / early Nov - they seem totally unaffected by the 'bad guys' and are very tasty if you can get enough of them.

Have come to the conclusion that trying to grow anything (other than toms) down here in mid-summer is a waste of time and water.

Thanks for the reply Ian, but what are flageolets????

Been having a read up on the www and carrots seem to keep popping up.  Quite fancy some other winter veggies like turnip and swede, but not sure if these will be ready in time.

I have some parsnips in the ground which I grew from seed, the foliage is about two feet tall and I can just see the white parsnips popping out of the earth, should I caover them back up?

Ta

Hi dotty,

what about raddish more lettice verious ones, cos, iceburg, even tomatoes plants,

or  me, I,ll grow and you could eat me anytime this year.

P.s behind the compost heap tonight, dont forget and dont tell anyone.

[quote user="Pun"]

Hi dotty,

what about raddish more lettice verious ones, cos, iceburg, even tomatoes plants,

[/quote]

I don't want to be accused of doing things behind people's backs, so I'm telling you that I've reported this post to the mods.

[quote user="Pun"]

Hi dotty,

[/quote]

hey pun I think the lady might need to know which compost heap hers or yours? you both might look a little silly standing on your own behind your own[blink] Still if she blowes you off I have a nice patch of clover behind mine[:D]

[quote user="beryl"]

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Just remember we are in the EU,when it comes to growing things if its a bent one it might not be allowed [Www]

[/quote]

Are you telling me some one is a woman?

or on the other hand a man?

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]

[/quote]

Flageolet beans: pods roughly the same size as 'French beans', but you strip out the beans for cooking. The beans are 'baked bean' size, but don't need husking like broad beans often do.

The plants grow to about 35cms high and can be grown quite close together.

Cook for 5 mins max, drain and a knob of butter and / or a spoon of creme fraiche.  Good gear. 

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]

[/quote]

Flageolet beans: pods roughly the same size as 'French beans', but you strip out the beans for cooking. The beans are 'baked bean' size, but don't need husking like broad beans often do.

The plants grow to about 35cms high and can be grown quite close together.

Cook for 5 mins max, drain and a knob of butter and / or a spoon of creme fraiche.  Good gear. 

Start to put in your autumn and winter veg, plus preparing for next springs crops.  I've put in some more carrots and parsnips plus another row of broccoli.

Winter cabbage and that sort of thing coming on well also.

Dotty, some late catch crops may work also - radishes will still grow well, baby carrots and navets also.

I always put pumpkins and squashes in for the end of the summer/autumn season.

Some are quite small and can be grown as climbers up cane teepees. Decorative too.

I have friends in Florida and they don't grow veg at all in the summer. Too dry. They actually grow their veg in the winter! Of course even the south of France isn't going to be comparible to Florida in the winter time. But the theory is still worth thinking about....and put the accent on vegetables like brussels and leeks which can grow through the colder seasons.

I am in Normandy...so I grow exactly what I grow in England, except it grows quicker! Still, I have to be careful because I can't be in Normandy to water or nurture the plants. Its trial and error isn't it? Not simply finding what will suit your soil or climate, but what can survive being left untended for weeks at a time. The FIRST thing I do when I arrive at Le Chatel isn't check the house or turn on the water....its go into the veg plot and see what made it and what didn't! Its usually a surprise. Somethings I plant simply disappear and others go leggy or rampant. Everyso often I have a real success. (This year its my aubergines)