Grass cutting

Angie

We have a large field attached to our garden and a British friend has asked if he can cut it and bale it up each year and take away for his animals. Obviously this is helpful to us and no money is going to exchange hands. Does anyone know if I need to get anything in writing before agreeing to this arrangement and if so what. Although obviously I trust my friend I realise its always best to think these things through should the friendship go belly up in the future! We may also wish to annexe parts of the field to our garden once we are ready to extend flower beds/lawns etc - which would obviously make the field smaller.

Thank you

Why not just draw up a contract IN FRENCH OF COURSE stating your conditions etc and then both parties sign and date with "lu et accepté" before the signature of the person collecting the grass up. I would however state that this is valid for 12months only renewable at the request of the proprietaire. France is a stickler for paper proof in French of any sort of contract and to be honest, I believe if someone uses land belonging to another person even with no money or goods involved, after 30years continuous use they have it automatically for eternity and it can be handed on to heirs too! I suggest you seek advice from your Notaire which is usually freely given for such information. People fall out over the slightest thing and it does often turn nasty where rights and property use are concerned.

Thanks for your responses. Have spoken to our notaire and his reply is that there must be no payment of a rent, in money or in work done on any other part of your property – this is to avoid them having a lease contract (bail agricole).

If there is no lease contract you will be able to ask him to stop using the property at any moment – no notice is required.

For more security you could use a letter in which he recognizes that he doesn’t have a lease contract but only a "commodat ou prêt à usage" contract. This is something that can be drafted up yourself and is signed by both parties. You can either renew it every year or as the notaire says, use of your land can be stopped at any time.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Val_2"]Why not just draw up a contract IN FRENCH OF COURSE stating your conditions etc and then both parties sign and date with "lu et accepté" before the signature of the person collecting the grass up. I would however state that this is valid for 12months only renewable at the request of the proprietaire. France is a stickler for paper proof in French of any sort of contract and to be honest, I believe if someone uses land belonging to another person even with no money or goods involved, after 30years continuous use they have it automatically for eternity and it can be handed on to heirs too! I suggest you seek advice from your Notaire which is usually freely given for such information. People fall out over the slightest thing and it does often turn nasty where rights and property use are concerned.[/quote]

Come on people .... we are talking about grass cutting here, on a large scale accepted but still grass cutting...... you gona be scaring people with your suggestions (the Notaires and local Maires must be laughing their heads off when they see people like you arriving on the door-steps).

I don't care how well folks get on, I would always cover my own back with stuff like this. In 20 years time, this person could well imagine that this land was 'theirs' or if they sell up imply that the 'right' went with their home, who knows. 

Personally,I would make it all 'legal' and above board.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Angie,

Whereabouts are you? I have field on Limousin/Charente border which had an informal arrangement with local farmer for free cutting in exchange for fodder.. Finished now so looking for similar arrangement with someone else. If you are anywhere near then your friend could certainly use my field for similar purposes.

Thanks