BOTTLES BOTTLES AND MORE BOTTLES

Pun

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they look like Pun??

I have found a little tiny brown one, plus some bits and bobs of glass. It seemed at bit odd as it was in the field though.

Also i haven't been digging that much, as we have only been here a year, and the veggie patch got a rather late and not very deep forking over after stripping off the grass, so there could be loads down there! I guess I'll find out in the autumn!

Louise

Hi Louise,

Green and brown, some clear, and all shapes, some about 8inch tall some 2inch and loads of broken (due to me using the spade and not the fork)

At the time of writing this Im removing a large mound of building rubble encrusted in huge prize winning weeds/nettles left by the previous people so I can make a nice patio, come open eating area, and so far Ive found 2x snakes a few ton of broken house brick, mortor, and bottles.

But Ive found bottles in the outside wall area of the Barn, every couple of yards near the doorways of the Barn and stable doors we,ve noticed cut out spaces "like there was a beam or girder in these places once, but my neighbour tells me these spaces have been in the building from when it was made

just incase you wanted in a later date to have an extention, you,d use these spaces for the wooden beam to go into and continue from them to errect your floors etc, we,ve even found bottles in these spaces near the roof of the Barn.

Maybe just Maybe its to do with high flying  MOLES, Yes the wind flushes across the open end of the bottles and this keeps the Moles at ground level.

Well what do you think Louise???

(They say to much sun effects you) I must go and lay down now,[8-)]

It sounds like you've bought the house of a closet alcoholic. He probably used to tell his wife "I'm just going to see to the garden/barn/roof" and off he would go. Hope you're not living with his diy work! Perhaps it was the other way round and it was the alkie wife escaping. Who knows?

So its not just us then!!!  And not just in France, in our last house inKent, a whole bank dug out for a pond was filled with whole bottles of all shapes and sizes, it was if somebody had buried a collection there and then again here in France, we cleared a bank by the road and found lots of glass bottles and stoneware vases buried, and many more glass amphules for medicines, we can only assume that the old people who lived in our house before us did not have the energy or the means to take the glass to the bottle bank in the village and just chucked it on a bank and buried it. 

Interesting what you said about the holes in the walls Pun, I also assumed they were where old beams went.

Our walls etc are mainly full of walnut shells and dried maize.........the dormouse at work i believe!

We did have one huge pile of mostly empty bottles in a small 1 roomed old cottage, attached to our outbuildings, (plus a mountain of walnut shells). I guess it was used at a wine store at some point. But it did look a bit like somewhere to sneak off to for a quick drink!

Perhaps old bottles were always non returnable in France??!

Louise

So far, in our top garden area, we've found, buried:

About 100 bottles ranging from tiny to over a litre.

Two farm cart metal axles, the ones for those huge wagon wheels, one intact, the other with a broken bearing.

A complete metal farm-trailer base.

A complete wooden farm-trailer base.

Several old fridge/cooker sides in white enamel.

The bonnet off a Simca Aronde,

A sheet of galvanised metal with around two cwt of walnuts buried under it, all eaten!

And around a tonne, so far, of old, broken tiles!!!

Add to that lot, about 200 sq m of brambles grown into and through chicken wire which was also buried, along it's bottom edge, up to a depth of 12", and we've had a LOVELY time up there.

Alcazar

Louise,

Ive had a really nice day today,

mostly in the workshop giving the push lawn mower a good degunge, and trying to work out what to do with all these bottles,

anyway I was called in to the kitchen by (her in doors) and greeted with a shush (because one of those do it up house /and sell for thousands more than you paid was on the T.V.)

My wife said well thats a good idea,

what is I said,[:(]

putting broken glass in the fire place to set the room off.

Have we any glass we could do that ???

I could have cried,  no body takes a blind bit of notice what I do all day.

Pun / Alcazar

You do realise that all this junk could be dealt with easily at your local Vide Grenier. Don't forget to stick an unreasonably high price on first though!

Pun, next time wife is out fill fireplace with all glass, the more the merrier. Stick a candle on top. When wife returns await the praise for your artistic endeavors. Hey presto.........no more problems with glass! Alternatively flog it all on eBay as 'Authentic French Glass'.........See above for pricing.

Louise

I really love interior design myself.  I love taking a room back to a bare canvas and working on it.  I cannot wait to get stuck into my house in France.

Oooops sorry for hijacking Pun.  I found a gold wedding ring once when I was a teenager digging my mothers garden.  I hid it and sold it to a man who came around the houses buying stuff.  He really screwed me for it but I did not mind because it was enough to buy 2 flagons of cider.[B]

Have any of you found any witch bottles...

http://www.kaaos.org/faerie/witchbottles.html

and here's another idea Pun for those you've found...

http://www.insolitus.net/News/Insolite-110.html

Not where we used to live, but judging round here, I'm not surprised of all you have found.  When the elderly man died behind us there was an old manure dump behind the house which has been flattened out by the new owners with their tractor and there is everything you can imagine in it!  There are bits of plastic everywhere and at another house which has been cleared for selling I saw a load of rubbish pushed into a corner of the land with a tractor, so maybe they then push some dirt over.  When they have a bonfire to clear out, they seem to also burn anything, big black smoke, explosions!  That's probably the bottles burning and why so many get left in the ground.  On our land you can see where there have been bonfires, with broken pots, bottles and bits of metal left.

I'm intrigued, Christine - in the course of doing what did you come across that page on witch-bottles? [8-)]

Is there something about you that we should know? [:D]

Not sure about the Ashhole (hope I got the spelling right) but I like the eggy toaster!

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Just Katie "]

He really screwed me for it but I did not mind because it was enough to buy 2 flagons of cider.[B]

[/quote]

And it's been the same downhill slope ever since. [;-)]
[/quote]

Love it.  Best chuckle for weeks.

[quote user="Just Katie "]Hi Tresc.  Great to see you.  I think is was quite funny myself.  I also think Cassis knows I can take as good as I give.  That is the rule isnt it?[/quote]

Nice to see you Katie, and everyone else too for that matter.[:D]

Cassis is frequently funny...I'm just not sure on this occasion. I will be delighted if Cassis confirms his comment was 'joshing' rather than 'snide'.

Yes Katie, I'm sure you could dish it out, but in fact you don't.

Re Bottles: There is much buried broken glass near the house, mingled with buried Oyster shells. Whenever I come across a vein of it I imagine guys having their lunch, a long, long time ago.[:)]