cherry tree

vab

I have just bought a cherry tree , very samll one. I have read my English gardening book and some cherry trees need a "mate" Is this correct or can I expect an abundance of cherries one day. For all you experts out there the name on the label is Cerisier Bigarreau Coeur de Pigeon. Any advise truly welcome !!!

[quote user="vab"]I have just bought a cherry tree , very samll one. I have read my English gardening book and some cherry trees need a "mate" Is this correct or can I expect an abundance of cherries one day. For all you experts out there the name on the label is Cerisier Bigarreau Coeur de Pigeon. Any advise truly welcome !!![/quote]

Got one two years ago. Last year it produced about ten cherries, which we, and the birds, shared.

This year, nothing. Everything else is LOADED with fruit, but no cherries.

Spongebob

Hi.

There's a brilliant website here which lists most fruit trees and what they pollinate with. It lists some that sound similar to yours, but not an exact match. I would imagine the most important thing is to get another cherry tree - different variety - that blossoms at the same time.

Most cherries look as though they need a another tree around for pollination.

Iain

Hi.

I grow Cherry trees here In Australia.To get the best production you will need a cross pollinater.Any of these ones below will do the job for the variety you have and give you a full crop.They should all be available at your local nursery.

Bigarreau Hâtif Burlat

Bigarreau Van

Bigarreau Napoléon

Bigarreau Hedelfingen