Faulty Goods.

Mr Wiggy

What are the French rules / regulations for buying faulty goods?

The reason I ask is that I bought a pair of fauteuils de relaxation et de massage from Cdiscount at the end of January. Now the base of 1 has broken from its base plate mounting where it was welded making the chair unstable. As these chairs have only been in my possession for seven months would I be entitled to some form of redress from the suplyer?

I wish you well, Mr Wiggy; but personal experience with Cdiscount is that they make the job of returning any bulky item very difficult.  You are required to return the item at your expense, and then make a separate claim to be reimboursed.  Yeah, like that's gonna happen ...

Have you got a local ferronnier who could re-weld the plate for you?  Might be both cheaper and less hassle in the long run ...

Ventodue is probably right, M. Wiggy.

No less astute person than Clair from here have more or less hinted at Cdiscount being not "easy to deal with".

She's too diplomatic to say in so many words but, since she has hinted at this, I have stopped all purchases from Cdiscount.

I am in complete agreement with mint and would not buy anything from that shower. Unfortunately that does not help Mr Wiggy.

If you do intend taking them on, and it is your right to do so, be prepared for a long tedious battle.

Well I must agree with what you all have said. Cdiscount sell for third parties and I too have now stopped using them. They simply take your order, take their cut then pass on the order to the supplier. Unlike Amazon never give a delivery date, I waited two weeks for one item I bought.

The idea from both mint and ventodue re a ferronnier, I did briefly think of this then thought why should I, but then thinking about it logically, it is the cheaper option and a sound lesson to avoid cdiscount like the plague. It just so happens there is an English guy in the next village who makes excellent pieces of wrought iron metal work for whatever you require. So I shall be send him an email latter this morning.

I have taken on and won against these people, it took nearly a year and the help of our children to write the complicated French. It concerned a microwave that was 18 months old. If you have Protection Juridique it is worth considering using them, providing it is over their sill (not including return shipping costs). Cdiscount have a site called "la Fourmilière" which is an open forum. We used that to publicly air our greivance against them and in the end got everything back, full cost of microwave, and shipping costs. They rely on people not being bothered to complain enough. We have never used them since.

Illegitimi non carborundum !