Grubs (and big)

Jeanneclaire

I will certainly leave them, even if they are rather fearsome things. I witnessed an amusing incident with a stag beetle a few years ago. One was seen on a 207 bus in Ealing; we all watched it with some trepidation as it wandered about. Eventually somebody picked it up and put it off the bus (hope it was the right stop!) An elderly lady was heard to exclaim to her fellow passenger: "You get all sorts of strange things with these foreigners coming over here"

Even I knew that the stag beetle is an indigenous species.

So what should one do about those cockshafer bugs? I always have LOADS at the bottom of my compost - they look like they could do a lot of damage to roots if they get to the vegetable patch. Are they OK, or are they really bad? What are their predators?

I asked my French neighbour (an old farmer and keen vegetable gardener) - gallic shrug is all the answer I got.!

They do a lot of damage to plant roots - that is what they eat.  I kill them by hand when I dig them up or put them on the bird table, but you can get chemical insecticides for them.  There is also a bait I have seen for them.  I don't know how effective each of these chemical methods of disposal are.

Hi folks, if you have a look at this http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/544141/ShowPost.aspx it may help? My knowledge of cockchafers is noted at the end of the thread!!

I am not sure that they are cockchafer, but they could well be rose chafer. Cockcahfer don't get into compost bins normaly. The rose chafer beetle is the beutiful metalic green beetles that you see on the top of your compost sometimes. They don't really do a lot of damage as the cockchafers do.

Chemicals,,, NO WAY. Use nematodes. They are minute worms that you can buy. Too small for the eye to see. Just mix them with water and water them in. They find and kill the cockchafer grubs and do no other harm. Chemicals kill EVERYTHING!!

If you are interested in keeping the French way of gardening with chemicals out of yur garden this might interest also http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/biocontrol.htm . It is a very interesting site and should be of help with the bug gers to find the bugs they don't want?

Not sure why the links don't come up 'clickable' but if you copy them into the address bar they work.

I remember stag beetle grubs seem to look similar to the chafer grubs,  from when i was identifying some in the spring.

Recently i have found some grubs similar to picture above in a large water trough i have had filled with earth for lettuce. The beetle that i saw living in there during the summer was a metallic gold colour........don't know what it is called, so i assume that  all beetle grubs look similar??

Louise

[quote user="chris pp"]

Not cockchafer in a compost heap, cockchafer are a grub that uses grassland and will often be found in new gardens that have been either overgrown or grassed.

Chris

[/quote]

However, I've definitely found them under a manure (not compost) heap.