problem deer

candide

Having just planted up a large bed with shrubs and perennials, in an area of the garden which backs onto woodland, is there anything I can do to deter deer from eating the plants?  Fencing the entire garden in is not an option, particularly as I have read that a fence to keep deer out needs to be at least 8 ft high.

There aren't many realistic options for this situation, I know. [:)] They were continually in and around our land, but since we have had our latest dog, a pointer, all the deer that used to frequent our land seem to have gone elsewhere, the boar as well.

It's all a bit of a shame for me needless to say, one dog and half the wildlife disappears, although she only actually eats the smaller things.

Practical advice, if you don't want a pointer, is to put some sort of  fencing round the bits that are important until they get established, plants are not normally a problem, it's shrubs and small trees that deer chew. The fencing can be quite low, one to one and half metres high, as long as it's fairly close to what you are protecting so that they won't jump over it, chicken wire or similar will do. It doesn't need to be securely fixed as long as it won't blow away, they will not try and push it out of the way, it's the contact with the front of their bodies they don't like.

Chris.

[quote user="M"]

You don't need a high velocity round, Chris. A 12

gauge shotgun with either solid slug or 00 buckshot will be very

effective out to about 50 yards - and it's legal in France, I think,

unlike in the UK.

M

[/quote]

Yes, but one needs to be around when the deer are taking their supper.

There is the small matter of proper licences too - one thing that does

get rigorously enforced in the boonies is the hunting regs, mostly

because the local chasse get p****d when someone gets something of

"theirs."

Solar powered electric fencing will work very well against deer and is not that expensive. I am told three strands at 50cm, 1.2m and 2m is very effective, though it is not really a problem we have here....

We have a constant problem with deer here in the UK we are in the middle of the countryside and have woodland surrounding the garden.  We have found that if we protect shrubs for a couple of years until they are big enough to cope with the odd crop they will be okay.  We now have a beautiful Ragged Robin which is cropped at the bottom every winter and spring but is large enough to cope.  Deer do not touch Buddlia,  Hydrangeas or Choisya. We grow most shrubs and now all survive.  We have three ceaonothus which we started in large pots, deer still tried to eat them, put them in the ground surrounded by fencing, fencing now removed and the plants are huge.  They love roses and all our roses are behind fencing.  So we enjoy them, mum, babies plus odd stag but have still managed to have a large beautiful garden.  I have to tell you however there have been many times when I have sworn at the damage caused but have over time learnt to live with them in relevant harmony. It is a wonderful sight to see them lying down on one of our banks apparently resting but always on their guard.  They do not seem to have much fear of humans and it is usually necessary to run at them to make them move.

Best of luck with your new garden.

• 2 weeks later...

We also have deer and boar in our wood and they are beautiful creatures. They take some food from our donkeys, but not enough to ever worry about, and the sight of these animals in the early morning mist is amazing.

I'm not even going to comment on the "let's kill it brigade" I'm just not going there.

You could try electric fencing, its reasonably cheap to buy, very economical to run and harms nothing. If you go this route I am happy to advise you on fence height, voltage, etc.

I'm jealous Bugbear, two of my favourite meats are venison and boar, I don't understand why you're not harvesting the natural food source that's on your doorstep? I mean if a lovely salmon or trout popped it's head out of the stream and shouted out 'ME ME ME!'...would you give 'em a hug or put them on the barby?

I used to enjoy seeing the deer on the edge of my Dorset village ...during the rutting season last year two came through a hedge just as I was passing at  40 ....Peugeot 406 estate........written off .......and now there is a couple less  ...so ....I am not so keen on the Bl....y things now.  I have been told that human hair will keep them away from your garden so a visit to your local hairdresser for some greasy smelly sweepings off the floor might help.....as for what you put them in ?......old tights cut up in little bags and tie them on your boundry  fence / hedge ? got to be easier  to handle than Lion s..t 

You could buy yourself a little white van, and park it awkwardly on the road edge by your house and stand next to it smoking all day, or just invite the chasse round to visit....they don't seem to have much luck round us, I think deer must have an innate sense or white van = chasse and steer well clear!

[quote user="Salty Sam"]If you can find a zoo or circus, offer to take their lion droppings. Not only good as a fertiliser but also deer won't come near.[/quote]

There is a circus in Chasseneuil (16) this weekend - and they have lions. Shall I post you some?