Remove ivy from trees?

WJT

Sorry, I have another question on trees.[:$] We have a lot of trees lining a small road around the top of our property, most are covered in ivy. They are really lovely trees and in May they are full of white blossoms. I am not sure what they are but I think someone once told me that they were some sort of Acacia tree. Well at the moment and this time of year they really look pitiful. As you can see from the photos (sorry for so many but couldn't choose which one gave the best idea of the problem) many are completely covered and swamped in ivy and are dieing and falling over.[:(] I am not sure if the ivy is killing some of them or if this would happen anyway.

My question is, should I try to remove the ivy? It would be a very big job and most of it is very mature, therefore, very big at the base and would be very difficult to remove. But I would just hate to see the ivy kill off all of these lovely trees.

As always any advice or opinions most welcome please. [:)]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P6020032-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P6030040.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P6020033.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P6030039.jpg[/IMG]

As posted above.

Use secaturs, long handled loppers or even a lopping saw to cut through the lower stems. Then pull it off. It's very brittle, even when green, and makes excellent fire-lighters[;-)]

Ensure that ALL stems are cut.

If the tree is very tall, and you can't get the ivy down, cut twice, about two feet apart, and pull out the ivy inbetween the cuts. Again, ensure the trunk is clean.

Try not to do TOO much damage to the trunk, it'll heal small cuts easily. I watched to French workers cut ivy off trees in the local area with a chainsaw last year!

My trees (walnut, and plum) were visibly better after only 6 months, and it was done in september 2005.

Oh dear, I was afraid of that. If you look at the bottom photo you can see what a big job it is going to be [:'(]. Some of the ivy at the base of some trees are the size of an arm! There are many trees and because they form a kind of semi circle around our property you are talking probably the length of between 800 to 1000 metres, I hazard to guess how many trees!

I felt like that would be the case and it would be necessary to remove the ivy but I really don't see how we could possibly remove it all. I would suspect as in the workers in your local village Ford, we may have to use a chainsaw. Just one more reason we need to buy one I guess. Thank you both. [:(]

This does look like a huge job, and they do look like acacias,or pseudo acacias. As a word of warning, don't let these trees get too near to your house. They send out side roots which can go under the house and try to send up new trees there. We had some near our last house and one of these roots grew right up the drainpipe for rainwater and blocked it. Husband cut them all down and then we fought with the new shoots for months, even years. They spread like weeds. Pat.

Hi Pat, unfortunately, you are right when you say it looks like a huge job but they are not near the house at all so not a problem there. However, your statement about them spreading like weeds is interesting. I just wonder if I were to let the ivy take it course as it has apparently been allowed to do for many years [:(], that perhaps new ones would shoot up. Having said that, most of them look very old and perhaps because of all of the ivy, it is very difficult for new ones to become established.

It's an interesting situation, I'd really like to know more about the region. False Acacias are generally reckoned to be "not a good thing" in France, only bee keepers like them as the flowers make good honey, but they are not a native species and are occupying a space which would naturally be a home for other species and in addition they seed like crazy.

If they are left as they are with no human interference, there will be a cycle where some will succumb to the ivy, fall over and decay and others will shoot up in their place which is not a bad thing and will provide habitat and food for a number of species, as will the ivy, it is after all a natural process, of course not all natural processes are a good thing as habitats have been altered and created by humans over thousands of years, but management requires an understanding of what needs doing to achieve specific results. Very difficult to give specific advice without physically seeing the overall situation.

The question is, what do you want from your land?

Chris

Hi the two Chris's [:)]. These trees really just line the road and act almost like a hedge (but that is another story because I would like to plant some hedging in some areas behind them to give us more privacy) but they just line the road that curves around for quite a way and between them and our house is a field. In areas they are quite thin and just one tree deep and others more dense but I would say no more than 10 to 15 meters deep at the deepest parts. They are quite important in that they do give us some privacy and not to mention, I think in the spring and summer are pretty. I really don't want to do anything with them except make sure they don't die.

I am very disappointed to hear Chrispp that they are not "a good thing in France" [:(]. But perhaps knowing that it isn't a forest but just a hedge of sorts would change that somewhat, at least I hope so.

First things first, make sure you wear gloves when dealing with any ivy and the second thing is as allan  titchmarsh says no matter what it is or looks like if you dont want it remove it and start again, I had and indeed still do have a few trees down our track and last year I cut from the lowest point (almost ground level) and as has been said the ivy has died and as Im writing thid you can see all the way up to almost the top of the tree's Ive done the dead and dieing ivy

and that work was only done this last 6 month ago, so its no great task ,but I must pull down the higher dead stuff in one of those wind less days.

(just cut it now and let the winter do it's worst)

Thank you all for the tips. I may just try taking down some and see how it goes because it really is a mess and a very big job. By the way, I don't know what the dreaded ronce/ bramble is but chances are Patf is right and that is what the vines are. I have never noticed flowers and don't think I 'm lucky enough to have wild Clematis growing there. [:(]

I noticed what appears to be either bramble (blackberry) or wild clematis in the photo as well, it's very easy even at this time of year to tell the difference, the bramble has thorns. Wild clematis grows in most of France, although it has suffered in the same way as the UK, having been removed from most habitats where it used to be, I have several on my land and it is a fantastic food plant for seed eating birds in Jan / March, particularly all the finch family, as the seed heads remain attached to it until spring.

Chris

I'll put a photo of it on here later.

Actually, Chris the whole thing may be misleading because I took these photos several months ago and put them in photobucket. I took them I think sometime the end of July specifically to ask the question on the forum and only got around to it yesterday. [:$]

Hi WJT...it's the good looking Chris here[:D]

Honestly, I really wouldn't fret about the Ivy. As I think you've realised, to 'manage' it just isn't feasible. The only other real issue is your liability to the general public...if that's an issue. Have someone wander around and do a general health check of the trees if you're worried.

For me, to cut the ivy would ruin the aesthetics of the setting.

Chrispp, I don't have a clue what those vines are [:$] ChrisH, I don't think there would be a worry with public hazard but haven't thought about it before. Will have a look at them tomorrow with that in mind as well as having a closer look at the vines. As you can see from the photos some of the area is really bad and very rough to say the least. But you really can't tell that from the house so may just live with it or as I said try to remove just a small amount to see how it goes because I really hate to see trees falling over like some are doing.

Thank you for the advice.[:)]

Chrisspp I wish I could somehow post sound here because something very strange is happening at this very moment [:-))]. It is a bit weird because I am here alone at the moment. In fact, I am going to start a thread now on the wildlife section just to make sure you see it! [:)]

FWIW I would leave well alone, if you cut the ivy at the base you will kill it, true enough, but in a few months you are going to be looking at a lot of dead brown leaves clinging to your trees and will have made yourself a long, difficult job. Apart from that, mature ivy can have a certain appeal and as Chrisspp says its good for the wildlife.

Russethouse, I think you are right. I just drove by it and will have to start looking at it differently. I will have to tell myself that mature ivy can be beautiful mixed with brambles and some weird vines intertwined [:)] In all seriousness, I may just have to overlook the fact that trees are dying it is just too big a job to contemplate. The farmer that cuts our fields for hay is meant to keep the verges but I am sure it is just impossible to use a tractor to keep the area between trees tidy.Thanks for the advice.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

FWIW I would leave well alone, if you cut the ivy at the base you will kill it, true enough, but in a few months you are going to be looking at a lot of dead brown leaves clinging to your trees and will have made yourself a long, difficult job. Apart from that, mature ivy can have a certain appeal and as Chrisspp says its good for the wildlife.

[/quote]

I agree, with qualification that it depends on the tree and the situation.  We have a large cherry tree which is completely overgrown with ivy - if it were not for the fact that we have several other cherries and this one is in a sheltered position, I would remove the ivy as it makes the tree very top-heavy and it would be vulnerable in autumn and winter winds.  It also reduces the crop.

I did remove the ivy from two huge oaks and I admit it was purely for aesthetic reasons.  The base of some ivy stems were as thick as my wrist; but sawing through carefully at the base and again at head height, then prising them away with a crowbar, enabled them to be removed without damaging the tree.  Quite a lot of the rest came away by dint of yanking and swinging from the end of the stems.  Since this operation early last winter the rest has disappeared - not sure where - and the oaks look wonderful now that you can see their bark and the sculpture of the branches. 

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/garden/snowoakacrosslake.jpg[/IMG]

As said earlier, ivy stems make the most fantastic firelighters.  [:)]