car no claims

johnycarper

Not sure where to post this so will try here,does anyone know and recommend somewhere to get our french no claims translated into English.We have started to look to sort things out in the uk and the insurance companies say they need our no claims notice in France officially translated .We have our « Relevé d’information”. but the English companies wanted it translated are are asking for £60 to do it.

Depends how many words it is, but most translators are going to ask about £80 -£90 or more per 1000 words.

Not having a pop at you, or indeed at anyone else, but translation is like any other service...it costs. I am just assuming you're unhappy with what the insurance company wants for the translation and not that you are unhappy to pay. Don't be surprised, though, if an official translator wants to charge you just as much as the insurance companies.

I dont care in the slightest what translators think.

Everyone seems to be under the impression that administration bodies all collate their paperwork, catalogue and cross-reference it, checking the watermarks and small-print with a magnifying glass but the reality is some bored office worker will receive the "translation", not give it a second glance because there is no standard it should conform to so they cant tell a real from a false anyway and it will end up in a filing cabinet in a dusty basement somewhere for a few years and eventually get shredded.

As for people rewiring their own houses - Absolutely. If people have confidence in their own abilities and are capable of reading very basic instructions, then I advise them to get on with it and not pour several thousand euros needlessly into the pockets of someobody else - Its not Voodoo magic.

When we moved back to England the paperwork given by the MAIF was in several languages, easy to read and worked just fine.

Have you not asked your french insurance company for an multilanguage version. I have to say, that forms from France that we have to hand in to some pertinent UK authority, have, in general been in several languages, y compris, english[:D]

Thanks for all the replies and I have now emailed the insurance company asking for an English copy if possible,so will see.

Thanks for the advice about writing my own but not sure I want to take the risk of being caught committing what I expect would be fraud,but that's not to say I have not cut corners in the past.

There is no fraud if you translate it correctly, what are fraudulent are the majority of translations, especially technical ones  into English that I have seen done by Traducteurs assermentés because they believe that only a French person can translate into another language.

I would translate it in a heartbeat but then I do all my own electrics and plumbing, thankfully France is rather more enlightened in that regard and have a superb organisation called Consuel that approves my work.

Actually, it is an accepted norm within translation that translators "should" (I can't do italics) only translate into their native language, so in the case in question the translation should be done by a native English speaker. If, Chancer, you have seen documents translated into English by a French traducteur assermente, they are taking the rise.

I am personally acquainted with two court accredited translators who are English born and bred.

It's only fraud if you are trying to deceive or obtain some advantage you're not entitled to, depriving a translator of a fee does not come under that definition.

It's all a nonsense anyway because the two NCB systems are so very different and it's hard to see how you meaningfully relate one to the other.

At least the French system is consistent, UK companies can't even agree on a definition of what maximum NCB is or how long it takes to earn it !

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] If, Chancer, you have seen documents translated into English by a French traducteur assermente, they are taking the rise.[/quote]

In 10 years in this area I have only seen English translations done by a native English speaker perhaps twice, one was some  information boards  done by the Conservatoire des espaces naturels I cant recall any others so am being generous when I say twice.

All the other translations are absolutely laughable and they are not Google translates either, the translator for the office de tourisme decided in their wisdom that a mid week stay was called a midweek-end and its contained in all their literature, there are also expensive signs on French owned gîtes and CDH's offering midweek-ends.

A sign on a factory advises "Routiers - roulez au pas en marche arrière" and then underneath in what I guess they think is English Lorry drivers, roll slowly on the back step [:-))]

Worst of all is that both organisations refuse to accept that the wording is n'importe-quoi because they paid a (French) translator and that I am wrong, that I dont even know my own language.

[quote user="AnOther"]     

At least the French system is consistent, UK companies can't even agree on a definition of what maximum NCB is or how long it takes to earn it !

[/quote]

Well to be honest I prefer the UK system, too many things in France are over regulated and kill competition. After all NCB is a bonus to entice good practice by clients; not a right. So if one company gives certain sections of society a better deal, why not?