Log Splitter

Lamaggot

I don't know what type of log splitter you need but I bought a log splitting chisel for the equivelent of £7.

It is the best big boys toy I have found. It is a 2kg chisel with a twist and barbs. As you drive it in the barbs bite and twist the log, thus splitting with ease.

They are available in all the major Briolages.

Happy splittng, Peter

I don't know if any of the travelling garden etc sales outlets, like Outiror or Direct Delta, visit your area. These send a catalogue round in advance of the visit, and a large lorry turns up with loads of ladders, tools, illuminated garden gnomes and sex aids (yes, really, in one or two cases) at the appointed place and date. They often have log splitters and similar hard-to-find things.

There are fairly common (in that I have seen them around the place). 

I got my 2.5Kg one (with a decent handle) a few weeks ago.  They also had a 3+Kg one (with handle) and

the normal wedges.  I got mine in my

local chainsaw (etc.) shop.  However I

had also seen the complete range (with handles and just wedges of various

sizes) in Cantena (a “standard” Cantena, not the “super” variant).

Ian

[quote user="Lamaggot"]Does anyone know what the French for log splitter is and where I might buy one?  Any idea of the cost?  Thanks[/quote]

We use a MERLIN (heavy hammer with 1 flat end and 1 pointy end): cost anything between 15-30€ (cheaper from a tool lorry and best with a fibreglass rather than wooden handle)

You can also use it with a COIN whic is a heavy meatl hammer-head (well, sort of!) which you wedge in a split before hitting it with a MASSE.

More details (in French) here:

http://www.mr-bricolage.fr/modules/espconseil/fiches_magazines/Mb43-10.htm

There are also some nice little electric ones at the big sheds. They will take the front off of the Titanic. They are a flat bed, about a meter long, with the wedge at one end and a screw driven ram at the other. Put the poor unsuspecting log on the  bed and hit the button, bingo, 2 logs! The down side is that the ones I've seen are about 600€!!! But they are nice...[8-)]

Personnally I use my trusty 7 lb felling axe which I've had for years, but I've also just bought one of the twisty wedgie type thingies too. don't know what it's like yet? The trick with an axe is to look at the point that you want to hit, take the axe (if that's what you have got) with one hand at the bottom of the handle, the other at the end near the sharp bit, swing it from behind you letting the hand near the sharp bit slide down towards the other hand as you swing the axe from behind and over your head and let the weight of the axe head do the work. Don't take your eyes off of what you are GOING to hit and with a bit of practice you will hit it almost every time just where you want to. The golden rule of safety is Never repeat Never wear gloves when using an axe, or any other swinging tool for that matter, because it can slip from your grip. One, it can be a bugger trying to find it and two, it's very embarrising when you do if it's between your mates eyes/neighbours cow/etc...

The big 'hammer one side/thick axe looking blade on the other is a special splitting axe and is supposed to be quite good, but I have never used one. Whatever you buy get a good one and it will last as long as you can swing/hit it.

John.

I use one of those splitting axes that you can clout. If I hit my target log right, I usually don't need more than one stroke, but if it wedges and won't go any further, I hit the flat end with a 12lb sledge hammer, wielded one handed, while steadying axe handle with left hand[^o)]

I've found that having a decent base to split on, makes a difference, a bit like splitting bricks, I suppose. Mine is an old tree trunk cut off about a foot high and about 15" diameter. I keep it in the woodstore, with the splitting axe.

Alcazar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
[quote user="Clair"]

We use a MERLIN (heavy hammer with 1 flat end and 1 pointy end): cost anything between 15-30€ (cheaper from a tool lorry and best with a fibreglass rather than wooden handle)

[/quote]

I suppose its a case of personal preference but I hate fibreglass handled heavy hammers. Having used both I feel that there is more impact shock through a fibreglass handle than with a (traditional) wood one.

I have had one of these for over 8 years now and running two woodburners I would be lost without it - 300 euros (not 600 as previously mentioned) is a good investment. It makes micemeat of logs up to quite a size with 4 ton pressure. The camion passes by my village on Saturday so if anyone wants one please contact me and I shall gladly collect it if funds can be sorted. The only thing I would say is that if the logs are over 50 cm they won't fit !

http://www.outiror.fr/catalogue/detail_produit.php?id=24

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

Is that electric one going for €74.99, ? Wow, where can I get one?

Oh and fibreglass handles? Mine WILL NOT retain the splitter head, it constantly slides down the handle.[:@]

I've finally knocked it into place and retained it with a small self-tapper.

[/quote]

No it's 299 euros if you look closely! But still a good investment IMHO.

[quote user="Punch"]

I have had one of these for over 8 years now and running two woodburners I would be lost without it - 300 euros (not 600 as previously mentioned) is a good investment. It makes micemeat of logs up to quite a size with 4 ton pressure. The camion passes by my village on Saturday so if anyone wants one please contact me and I shall gladly collect it if funds can be sorted. The only thing I would say is that if the logs are over 50 cm they won't fit !

[/quote]

Hi Punch,

had to let you know what a very good recommendation this was, bought one from the lorry on Tuesday and used it today, after all that back breaking work it was a pleasure to use and to get my own back on those bu**ers that refused to split with the axe. Thank you....and my wife thanks you too[:D]

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

You're welcome Dago! I think they are brilliant and once you have one you wonder how you ever managed before. En plus it is quite easy (and safer) for a female to happily split logs with these machines as before my wife couldn't lift the axe let alone swing it !

[quote user="Clair"]Mr Clair broke 2 wooden handles, hence the fibreglass one...[:)]

[/quote]

and I broke a fibreglass one so I only use wood now!  Another problem with fibre glass is once the protective surface is damaged (and it doesnt take much of a knock to chip) the tiny shards of prickly stuff (the glass) get stuck in your skin.  Each to his own.

Fendeuse de Buche - we brought ours from M. Bricolage for €1100 but we did get it for €800 as there was a sale on.  Expensive, but would not be without it now.  I just love the sound it makes when the hydraulic wedge connects with the wood and the wood starts to split.  If you have a log fire and large bits of wood, it is a really good piece of kit to have ....... and so far, worth every penny if like me you don't have the strength to do it manually.

Jan

I don't like fibreglass handles either.  Used hammers for a while with fibreglass and found I was getting tennis elbow or RSI or somesuch.  I think the wooden handles protect you a bit from ths, anyway, it's wood for me from now on, even if my son has just broken my lump hammer.  Honestly, he's built like a beanpole but as strong as an ox!  It would be scary if he didn't have such a placid nature and that we are best mates too.