Spring (in the south)

Gardian

Clear blue sky and 21C down here today.

Our neighbour told us that les paysans (either here or where she works, 20kms down the road) say that winter is well & truly over - no more frosts.  Something to do with thick skins on onions, but Jacqueline was about as vague about it as I'm being.

Because it's so warm, all her clients have decided to come down for the weekend at short notice (she manages their residences secondaires), so she's on roller skates.  Coupled with that, her daughter is moving house at the weekend and her sister & bil are visiting.

All the shrubs are budding like hell and a lovely afternoon tidying up around the garden. 

[quote user="Gardian"]Our neighbour told us that les paysans ...say that winter is well & truly over - no more frosts.  Something to do with thick skins on onions, but Jacqueline was about as vague about it as I'm being.[/quote]

Nothing vague about thick skins on onions Ian.

That's very interesting. I really do listen to the neighbours, rather than the long term weather 'forecasts'...[:)]

Tresco - like most I suspect, I look in for a little while most days, but if I've nothing to say, then I've nothing to say.

It doesn't mean that I don't agree or (sometimes violently disagree) with some of the things said. To me, life's too short to get into an unseemly ruck with folk on the other end of a keyboard.  Bad for the old BP.

Let's not stop em though - good entertainment (sometimes)!

Anyway, nice day 2moro, I hope.  It'll soon be 'Chilled glass of white on the patio at 5', time of the year. 

Ian, I take your point, but still...I meant just gentle chatter, like this.

Catalpa. I like good food, but to me, if left to my own devices, a Marmite butty and an Orange is good food.

Helping with the sowing, growing/tending of the things he's going to cook with is my role. Not cooking.

I know it's odd, (I mean, that I am odd) but I do put a lot of effort in before the food gets into the pan. It's a teamwork thing. I do other things that he doesn't do. [;-)]

Right! I get you now. [:D] I had this (confused) vision of you admiring the runner beans... as you pulled them out and piled them on the compost heap. So glad they do get eaten!

ps: if Gardian is who I think he is, he is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable people I've "met" in these virtual worlds.

I thought winter was pretty much over here too (Bedoin Vaucluse).  We've had double digit afternoon temps for days now.  However, this morning, woke to a frost on the ground...

Here some of the cherry trees are already blooming too !   Another bit of winter could really do some damage.

[quote user="catalpa"]

ps: if Gardian is who I think he is, he is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable people I've "met" in these virtual worlds.

[/quote]

Catalpa ..................

Very nice of you to have said that, but I think that there must be another 'Gardian' lurking around!  This is the only Forum that I frequent, so .......

Ian

Must be lovely, a nice temperature 21c, not too hot and not too cold. This winter has been fairly mild for all of northern europe, you may get some frost but the way the weather is performing at the moment even here in Lincolnshire may see an early spring, saves on the heating as well.

Regards

Lesman

Been beautiful here in the Viene for the past few days, 17C - everything is budding and growing like mad - I need to cut the grass, but like miszter, the ground is really wet after what seems like weeks of having on/off torrential downpours.  I'm desperate to get the 'new' [bought 2nd hand] rotavator out to extend the veggie plot, but my neighbour insists that I'll just get completely stuck - I'm sure he is right, but it is getting very frustrating waiting for the ground to dry out!

Matt