first frost/last frost dates

Nicos

Well I hope it has all cleared up by Easter as we will be at the house in Salon la Tour brrrrrrr.

Arctic weather has just been mentioned for Scotland and Northern Britain minus 4 at the weekend, so we may cop for it here in Bedlington Northumberland and then in France.    

It does look like most of France I'm afraid.  I think it's rain during the day and snow at night then chilly temperatures thereafter for a few days.  This happened last year and the year before.  I also remember snow in April last year and the winds in May got a bit brisk as well.  We went to a show jumping event in Pompadour and nearly froze just standing about in the wind, so we gave up and went home.  The day after we were in shorts and t-shirts.  Funny stuff - the weather.

Yes, apparently, even those of us in the SE are in for possible snow at 600 meters and 100 to 110 winds Monday and Tuesday.  Even a risk for Wednesday.

Could be trouble for the apricot trees.  They are in full bloom around here.  Hopefully, the forecast will be wrong...

Hard to believe I was out washing the car yesterday in 22 degree warmth.  The weekend is supposed to be the same.  Then, boom Monday..

Thank you for the heads-up.  I think I'll delay some sowing planned for this weekend - the weekend looks fine but light overnight frost forecast for a coouple of days midweek and cool with showers, which ain't the best conditions for germination regardless of what our neighbour says about the moon.  Sunny and warm again by next weekend - I'll think about sowing then instead. 

Just bought a Depeche du Midi - forecast for the week is for a return to hiver for a bit, and then, as you say Phil, back to seasonal norms by next weekend.  Funny you should mention the moon thing.  St Joseph's Day on Monday apparently.  Janneau next door has warned of grave repurcussions for us after we put our spuds in before that date.  His own won't be going in a minute earlier, although I bet that he'll stubbornly put them in on that very day even though, given the forecast, it may be snowing, in honour of St Joseph, and tradition.  He gardens according to a combination of the moon and the saints' days - weather is irrelevant.  Quite nice really, I suppose.  

[quote user="squidge"]

Just bought a Depeche du Midi - forecast for the week is for a return to hiver for a bit, and then, as you say Phil, back to seasonal norms by next weekend.  Funny you should mention the moon thing.  St Joseph's Day on Monday apparently.  Janneau next door has warned of grave repurcussions for us after we put our spuds in before that date.  His own won't be going in a minute earlier, although I bet that he'll stubbornly put them in on that very day even though, given the forecast, it may be snowing, in honour of St Joseph, and tradition.  He gardens according to a combination of the moon and the saints' days - weather is irrelevant.  Quite nice really, I suppose.  

[/quote]

D'oh that was Mark not Squidge, not that it matters much.  Could get away with all sorts now I know I can do that.....[6][:)]

Will do.  S's new Canon won't work with her old non-Canon lenses.  This is presumably to encourage one to buy Canon lenses - shouldn't that sort of thing be illegal?  What's that phrase for it - restrictive trading or something..?  Anyway, we'll put some St J's Day snaps on the photos bit of the forum regardless of whether they feature Janneau or not, since the house is nearing completion (or rather we're nearing exhaustion and it'll do...), and we're also trying to woo Meg, Mog and Dog as our first guests (agent's fee in the post by the way Mr G), so a few new images wouldn't hurt [:)]

[quote user="Mark"]Will do.  S's new Canon won't work with her old non-Canon lenses.  This is presumably to encourage one to buy Canon lenses - shouldn't that sort of thing be illegal?  What's that phrase for it - restrictive trading or something..?  Anyway, we'll put some St J's Day snaps on the photos bit of the forum regardless of whether they feature Janneau or not, since the house is nearing completion (or rather we're nearing exhaustion and it'll do...), and we're also trying to woo Meg, Mog and Dog as our first guests (agent's fee in the post by the way Mr G), so a few new images wouldn't hurt [:)][/quote]

aah, should have bought a Nikon.  Even in the film SLR days Canon were forever changing lens mounts, just to keep the product moving I suspect.  Now Nikon...... sorry wrong forum.

Had it confirmed yet again by a French farmer friend last night, do not plant anything tender out until mid May.  Maybe try just a few spuds, just to be ahead of the game, but as soon as they shoot, wrap them up at night.  If the weather does turn next week we will lose all the plum blossum and probably most of the fruit.  In some areas, those that are not as high as us (we are at 400m) I see that the cherries are in blossum, if that lot gets a frost, good bye cherries this year!