holes in garden

vab

We moved into our house last year and I planted some small lavender bushed and also Hebe. They have been gowing very well but over the last few weeks we have noticed holes being dug overnight mainly around the lavender and now they are almost totally destroyed. Moles, maybe but I did not think the holes were large enough,  Cats normally cover once they have done what they have to do. Any ideas  as I am reluctant to plant  anything else as such a waste of money.

Maybe that could be the answe but these holes a about large "shoe " size. I am going to have to sit shotgun all night.....NOT !!!!!!!!! We had a lovely little lizard last summer that would sit on the garden wall in the sun but I do not think he could make holes that size.  Thanks for replying.

Lots of things make holes - can you post a picture?  I have large holes (rabbits) holes with mounds of earth in the lawn, well, I say lawn.....,(moles) and some about 3 cms diameter, very neat, which I'm told are rats.  I think I'll bait some traps with chocolate and see what happens.

V, I planted a row of lavendar - and have also lost a few. I have noticed that the lavendar plants seem to attract the moles. First, I get a few molehills at the base of the plant, and then the plant dies. Some of the plants have a "shoe-sized" hole at the base. I was certain it was the moles. But, I know my cat loves sitting at a molehill for hours waiting for the slightest movement of soil, and then she digs like a dog[:@]

Thanks for all the suggestions..folks.  I have numerous Lavender cuttings and fortunately I did take some cuttings of the Hebe plants, all growing nicely in my greenhouse but until the mystery is solved that is where they will stay. If I do solve it I will let you all know.

You may be right but they must be very large Rabbits as this morning as well as the holes again a small branch was broken off of a newly planted Cherry tree and also a branch from a small Buddleia. I give up !!!!!

I have been told that they tend to have a hole (or more) often decently inland. Apparently this can be up to 10m from the river or lake bank. I have generally found them within 4m of the river bank - but a local piegeur said up to 10m - so I was thinking that this could be in flower beds (depending on where, etc.)

Just thought it might be another possibility. No idea how easy rabbits are to catch but Ragondin are often not to hard to catch (though depends on the nature of the banks and area).

Ian

Ragondin can also be very nasty if cornered by accident. Chums of mine out for a walk were attacked by three (probably) males which stood on their hindlegs and came towards them with fangs bared. Their golden retriever simply jumped over the top and ran. This happened during a drought so the animals may have been forced from their homes by a shortage of water or something, or perhaps there were young nearby. They can be trapped but need a big cage and bait which might be borrowable from the commune.

Any chance that the holes in the ground are caused by frogs?

Nobody has yet mentioned snakes?

I had a 2" hole in my garden last year. During very hot wether I put the hose down it to water the ground, and was surprised when a medium-sized, very wet, p*ssed-off, furry brown creature emerged. It had a very blunt nose, so unlike a rat. How big are voles in France?

Morning all !! I actually got up EARLY this morning and saw a darling bunny rabbit scuttling across the garden and back into the woods. Only a small one but perhaps Mum, Dad and big brother were a bit quicker. Good idea abot the pepper, will give it a go.

[quote user="Tag"]

Ragondin can also be very nasty if cornered by accident. Chums of mine out for a walk were attacked by three (probably) males which stood on their hindlegs and came towards them with fangs bared. Their golden retriever simply jumped over the top and ran. This happened during a drought so the animals may have been forced from their homes by a shortage of water or something, or perhaps there were young nearby. They can be trapped but need a big cage and bait which might be borrowable from the commune.

[/quote]

Although its a bit off topic, I agree about Ragondins being dangerous (particularly to dogs). Many will run-off but occasionally one will not.

To trap them you use a cage but do not need bait. Traps are readily available and not particularly expensive (e.g. you can get them in Gamme Vert). If you have some then often the local chasse will have a/some Piegeur Agree who will often come and trap them for free (actually they get paid by the authorities). Trapping them yourself is pretty easy (with the trap) but I'm unsure about the legality (or rather the legality of killing the trapped animal). Others (Chrispp) know more about this aspect - as there are strict laws about cruelty, humane treatment, etc.

Ian

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

OK, I had to look it up. I had no idea what 'Ragondin' were.  Now if you had said 'Coypu' .........

Anyway, they are so cute,see herethey could nibble my lavender if wanted

[/quote]

Sorry, Coypu are not cute - they grow to be GIANT rongeurs up to 6 Kilos weight - in other words they are ENORMOUS water rats and they do ENORMOUS damage to farmers maize crops which is why they leave ENORMOUS traps between their fields and rivers - ugly critters they are too, the Coypu not the farmers. Well probably the farmers also [:$]

not at all like bunnies which are CUTE, cuddly and just part of the countryside - until they eat all the tops off of your veggies - GET THE SHOTGUN [:D]

So it seems the rabbits are to blame. I was going to suggest it could be a dog, if you have one. One of ours digs holes all over the place. I think she can smell mice and scrats like mad with her nose stuck down the hole. Sometimes the holes are the size of a shoe. Pat.