Levelling land

londoneye

Hi

I have (at a guess) about a quarter of an acre of 'grass' which is very lumpy and bumpy, and needs levelling.

I am thinking that I have two choices; firstly to hire or borrow a rotivator (don't know much about these - are they easy to use for a small (but not particularly weedy!) woman), secondly to ask one of local farmers to turn over the earth for me.

If I take the farmer option, does anyone have an idea what I should offer him?

Secondly, after the land is level(ish), would I need to weed-killer the whole area before re-seeding, or could I just seed on top ?

Thirdly (!), which grass seed ?    The area in question is about a quarter of total field area, but three quarters is relatively flat (primarily because we have had fosse and other work carried out, which has resulted in a good deal of heavy machinery trolling over, nicely flattening it).    However, the 'grass' is, er manky, is the best way to describe it, lots of weeds and other stuff, but I dont particularly mind, as I never envisaged a wimbledon lawn.   Anyway, to get back to issue, I am concerned that any grass seed I buy will look totally different from the adjoining area.    Thus, is there a commercial 'manky' variety of grass seed (probably not labelled as such !), which would blend in more effectively with what I already have ?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I have never attempted anything on this scale and am a bit lost at the moment.

I think I have a similar situation to you, about a quarter acre of grass and weeds, very lumpy and spongy underfoot, difficult to cut too.  I'm not going to dig/have it dug and re-seed as it 1) too much work ) 3 years before I can enjoy using it properly.    What I have done is to weed 'n feed a lot.  I did a smallish patch last year as an experiment and the difference is amazing, not nearly so many lumps (or so large) or weeds/moss just healthy looking grass.  This year, I intend to continue weed 'n feed and roll with the biggest roller I can find or make.  Also, I have bought a scarifier blade (or 'Sacrificing blade' as my son calls it) for my mower and will rake out the moss and dead stuff etc.  I don't expect I'll ever get a decent game of croquet but it might end up looking half decent.

The scarifier blade sounds interesting. I have a rotary mower; can you buy one for this type and do you have an approximate cost?

A day's hire for a dedicated scarifier from M Bricolage is 40€ and with the distance of fetching of it and taking it back it makes quite an expensive exercise.

The type of lawn/field sounds typical of many French gardens so the weed and feed also sounds interesting. Is their a brand name that you'd recommend?

When my little pony paddock got this way back in the UK, I used to have it harrowed, preferably before the last frosts.  This works well as it is a good happy-medium between rotovating and scarifying.  Just dragging a big old lumpy bit of log behind a 4x4 works quite well too as a substitute!

I had this problem, bought a rotivator, but ended up having to rotivate it about ten times (although it could be that I am not that good at it) and then pulling up the weeds manually, then trampling it. Lots of work but it looks far better grassed. It's still a bit lumpy though.

Georgina

I bought my scarifying blade on ebay like this one

It is designed for petrol rotary mowers and you use it with the mower set on its highest setting.   I got the 20 inch one for £17.99 plus postage but it comes in 16 inch also. It has various bushes so it will fit almost every spindle size. Arrived next day too!!  Very good quality from what I can see and works very well although you may well wonder if anything will grow afterwards as it pulls out tons of stuff.

As for weed 'n feed, I just use what is on special offer. Last year I used Mr. B's own label but last weekend Point Vert had 18 Kg bags for 26 euro, probably still have plenty left

[quote user="Georgina"]

I had this problem, bought a rotivator, but ended up having to rotivate it about ten times (although it could be that I am not that good at it) and then pulling up the weeds manually, then trampling it. Lots of work but it looks far better grassed. It's still a bit lumpy though.

Georgina

[/quote]

I know I've said it before, but rotovating is really hard work unless you have a mega-monster machine with drive wheels as well as rotating blades, or very light soil.  Like taking on a mechanical Cumberland wrestler.

EDIT/  Thank you for the information, Pierre.

Re rotavating the patch.  Pro gardeners always say never use a rotavator as it ruins the soil structure.  Also rotavators chop up the weeds and this is bad news.  The perennial weeds will shoot from the tiniest bit of root.  One bit of twitch or bind weed becomes 20 the following year, the only sure way to get these out is by hand.  You need to analyse the problem, will weed and  feed suffice or do you want to weed  kill it all and start again.  Depends on the quality of finish you want.  If you ask the local farmer, he will probably just turn up with the appropriate kit and it'll be sorted in an hour to his way of thinking, all for a whiskey or 5!  But this may not be what you want?  One more thing, don't let is go to seed, keep on top of the mowing, one year's seed equals seven years' weed, so they say!

thanks all.

Cassis, i always suspected that rotivating would be akin to some form of torture, but happy to have it confirmed (that's one crossed off list !).

Pierre (sorry can't see posting, so hope this is right), sounds like you pretty much have what I have there - have a feeling that the moles have had a bit of a 10 year rave on that particular area of land.        I had considered what you have been doing (OH wanted more drastic measures, but I think I can bring him around now !!); to a certain extent I am happy to learn to live with the situation, as long as I can get enough control back so that I don't disappear into 1 foot crevices every now and then!

Some good ideas and it has put it into perspective for me a little.   I must confess I was really daunted by the thought of re-seeding the whole area, because although I have seeded small areas, they have never been wildly successful - seems to end up with a lovely patch of weeds and the odd sparkling green tuft of grass whenever I do it; the thought of mega expensive grass seed and all the work involved just to end up with a mess was not good.    Thus, I may as well try to half-tame the current mess instead - at least I didnt pay for it to get that way this time !!

I paid a local farmer by the hour for his work. He turned over the top soil (heavy clay) which had been used for corn, levelled it and sowed the seed. He charged me 30€ an hour. He actually did about 4 acres for me, more or less how I wanted.  He would have made it really flat if I wanted but at extra cost because an extra bit of kit was necessary and more time. I think he charged me 600€ in the end which I was happy with. he actually did the work in March and it all worked out well.

Bill

A supplementary question to sneak in here.  

I need to buy something with which to mow the grass - within the next week or so; I simply can't bear another year of strimming an acre ! (or probably about 3/4 of acre now).  Of course I would love a ride on (hand-bags and all that),  but although I have read that ride-on's are not good with bumps.   I have searched and read all of the postings I can find on the subject, but can't actually find an answer to one question - could anyone tell me why a self-propelled mower is better than a ride-on with bumpy ground ?    And how bumpy is bumpy - I would say that some of the lumps and bumps in my garden are around 8 or 9 inches high.

If anyone can bear to answer, I would really be grateful !!

I suppose the simple answer is that if the ground is too bumpy you might get thrown off or struck in a rut.  I have a self propelled rotary mower as the ground is lumpy, I have lots of overhanging trees and lots of akward corners rather than large swathes of grass.  Also it was all I could afford at the time but I've not regretted it.  Mine has very large (45 cm) drive wheels which copes with most anything and just one wheel at the front for easy turning.  Got it from Leroy Merlin years ago but they still sell the same model.

[quote user="londoneye"] ...And how bumpy is bumpy - I would say that some of the lumps and bumps in my garden are around 8 or 9 inches high[/quote]

I've got roughly the same area to mow, (with a ride on) and in parts it's as lumpy as you describe.

I just go slower in those places.

hmmmmmmmmm I seem totally incapable of making a decision these days - but then again sit ons are quite a lot of money.

How about a pull you along brush cutter mower - might that work - anyone ?       Sorry I have gone into pathetic indecision mode, but the cheapest ride-on is 1,000 euros, and I think thats quite a lot of money (not for the product, you understand, but to spend) and I don't want to buy the wrong thing .... queue pathetic whinging !!

It is a lot of money, but being dragged around lumpy ground by one of those ones you're considering is going to be exhausting.

I wouldn't fancy having to do that once every couple of weeks for a large part of the year, especially between May and September.

You don't say where you are in France, (go on, add it to your profile) but here it regularly reaches 40°C during those months.

[quote user="londoneye"]

How about a pull you along brush cutter mower - might that work - anyone ?       Sorry I have gone into pathetic indecision mode, but the cheapest ride-on is 1,000 euros, and I think thats quite a lot of money (not for the product, you understand, but to spend) and I don't want to buy the wrong thing .... queue pathetic whinging !!

[/quote]

If you possibly can, buy a ride-on LE, you won't regret it. Our garden (grass area) is on a slope and (shall we say) undulating [:)] I also cut the bridleway edges that run alongside our propery and parts of that are quite an extreme angle. I don't know how old you are but it is just so much easier with a ride-on.

Mine has a 110 cm cut (twin blades) and a two-sack and tube type grass collection system. It cost 1500 €'s four years ago.

OK - in Haute Vienne and mid-40s !!!   Now I have changed the posting to what looks like a dating service !

I suppose I can afford a ride-on, but for some reason (!!! queue stupid mode) we didn't budget for anything with which to cut grass (what were we thinking of), so I have to find the money from some other budget (I suppose I am a bit budget-fixated).  You know what its like when you are in renovation phase and not working - all you see is money draining out and none coming in - leads to occasional panic attacks !     Still, hopefully that will change by this winter.

I have promised OH that I will make a decision by Monday, as he has now lost the will to live with listening to me whitter on about it...      

Thanks for input everyone, it does help to hear from people with first-hand experience of similar terrain etc.

Londoneye,

Not sure of how your bit of land relates to your property and others but have you considered a couple of pigs?  AKA natures ploughs.  The pigs would start by clearing the grass/weeds before setting too proper and digging out the roots and bugs.  As they dig, they will flatten the land with their trotters and also manure it - magic eh!  By Christmas with extra feeding you will also have the benefit of a full freezer, hows that for saving a bit of cash?  Obviously they are other things to consider like a shelter and fencing, but its worth thinking about.  I'm was hoping to get some pigs this year and have been reading lots  - the Limousin Cul Noir (black bum!) seem ideal but I've not had chance to sort the fencing yet so I'll have to wait until next spring.  A word of warning though, that 1000 m 2 of land may never be a green garden once you get the pig keeping bug!!!!!!!!!!

This is a subject that I have considered. Been watching the local pigs the last few years, as well as a program on the telly in England called Jimmies farm. The way they plough up the soil, crunch stones and clear weeds is amazing, the only trouble is we are not there yet, so would also like to see if anyone has tried/done this method Great Idea!

our "grass" was in an awful state, tussocks and lumpy.

Regular mowing is the most important - now it's looking like a real lawn!

Selective weedkillers are all very well, but our "lawn" had crocuses and daffs in it, and all sorts of other flowers. The clover helps keep the grass greener even in the summer, and with regular mowing nothing gets out of hand.

I had an acre of nettle infested 4' high lumpy "grass" in the UK that I turned into a lawn just with regular mowing. The broadleaved species tend to grow slower so are kept at bay, and the grass responds by getting thicker. I never pick up the cuttings - they add to the humus and improve the soil structure. It can be a pain if the kids/animals tramp grass-cuttings into the house after a shower, but life is too short and the benefits outweigh the disadvantages! :)