Rhubarb, rhubarb

Le Petomane

Semi-shade is probably best, if you have a sunny garden. It should do well there and will free up your sunny spots for tomatoes, etc. The plants can get quite big so leave a good space around it (1.5 metres ish if poss) and keep the ground well-weeded. I work on the assumption that it is a plant that grows well throughout the UK, even in the coldest and rainiest areas, so a full-sun spot here probably isn't necessary!

I am trying it this year for the first time, but from seed, so it will be a couple of years before I can harvest it...

Jane

Ours thrive in full sun. Keep well watered and fairly weed free until established then just pile big heaps of ***t around and stand back. Therefter the giant leaves kill most of the nearby weeds and the rhubarb stalks will keep you going.

John

not

Heard of that before Iceni but I prefer custard on mine. We  had so much last year,rhubarb that is, that my wife made pots of  rhubarb jam and it proved very popular with Guests. Just made load of grapefruit marmalade so we'll see how that fares.

Regards.

Our rhubarb is in full sun but at the bottom of a bank with the strawberry patch.  The run off from the roof - after the water butts - comes out at the top of the bank and runs down so when it is wet, they get double watered, seems to work fine.

Rhubarb and ginger jam is superb also.

Mine is in full sun, not sure this the best situation as it has just produced flowers.  Any ideas about time to use the sticks and if flowering shoots can just be cut at the base much appreciated.  I looked at an American site and it said that established Rhubarb likes to flower from time to time, never saw this in the UK though.

One advantage of a surplus of rhubarb and strawberries.. or any other veggies.. We have a system with one neighbour which is quite interesting. We have a wooden fence just over 2 metres high seperating us, so we very rarely see each other. When we have a surplus of anything we hang a bag of it over the fence on a wire hook. On Saturday it was Strawberries and Rhubarb, in return  the bag came back on the hook with a variety of lettuce, which I haven't bothered growing this year. The best part is after they've been sea fishing when we get nice mackerel or dorade..

With the weather at the moment I'm thinking of diversifying into Hodroponics.

Regards.

Good idea about the tyres, you could spray them I suppose.  My rhubarb was doing really well but then took a turn for the worse.  Then I realised the local dog had taken a fancy to watering it once or twice a day. 

Thankfully after being removed to sick bay and replanted in another area, it is doing very well.  Rocky has not found it yet!.

Mine plant is in completely the wrong place from an aesthetic point of view - in the middle of a flower bed - I didn't put it there - but in semi shade it produces so much that I am loathe to move it.  Flower spikes are best removed (happens when plant is to dry) as it can cause bolting and then dying.  Also pull the stalks off rather than cutting or the stubs can rot and take the whole thing with it.

I put ice cream on mine

[quote user="Sunshine"]

Good idea about the tyres, you could spray them I suppose.  My rhubarb was doing really well but then took a turn for the worse.  Then I realised the local dog had taken a fancy to watering it once or twice a day. 

Thankfully after being removed to sick bay and replanted in another area, it is doing very well.  Rocky has not found it yet!.

[/quote]

Why would you spray tyres, do they get green fly peut etra [8-)][Www]?

We had a Victoria rhubarb plant in our garden in the U.K. One of the sticks that came off of it weighed in at 4 1/2 lbs (2 kilos to the uneducated in the proper measures?) and it was not stringy, but wonderful!! We had a septic tank and it was planted right on the out-flow...

As far as the dog is concerned. I got into real trouble when I was 15ish. My Grandma was round for lunch and she commented how nice the tomatoes were. They were from the garden. I said that they should be because Rodger, our dog, watered them every day. My Gran was NOT amused and I got a clipped earole. Didnarf 'ert too. She didn't have any more [:-))]...

Some yer win?