Suggestions for climers please

Frederick

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Crikey, FA - my honeysuckle has always had mildew or blackspot or both [:(] and a  professional gardener of some repute told me this is  common and winter flowering jasmine do better on a north or east facing wall or fence in my experience- lovely though it is.......

You may have found differently ............

[/quote]

Yep, definitely different. I put two Honeysuckles in, two years ago this Easter, at our French property, BOTH have already had to be trimmed back as they are rampant, and the smell is overpoering even from 10 yards away. Both were weedy little cheapo specimens from a local Briconauts.

Our Winter Jasmine faces south and again, has to be cut back regularly or it takes over. That IS in the Uk, mind.

On another note, someone else on here mentioned Wisteria (Glycine), and can anyone input for me on the other thread regarding those? Thanks.

FA .............

I think that it was me who mentioned it.  Don't know whether there was another thread, but what do you want to know?  In truth, there's not much to say other than that they grow away like hell.  We've got one in a large pot and one in open ground and both are doing very well.  No flowers yet though and our neighbour says that we may not get any for years.

Gardian, some years ago I was given this tip by an experienced old gardener. In order to encourage your wisteria to flower put a panfull of wood ash around the base in February. I've tried it and it seems to work, although it could be coincidence of course.

Hoddy

Aaaargh! NOT Russian vine! Yes - don't stand still near it. I had one in the UK and it grew like crazy - into next door's garden and trees. We never saw a flower, and in the end were so embarrassed by its prolific invasion of next door that I cut through the roots and let it die off. It's a monster. (Unless of course you want  to go the Agatha Christie route and use it to cover a body... hope that didn't spoil the surprise.) But really - if you're going for a monster, try the Kiftsgate rose. It'll get up to at least 10 metres, and give you pretty flowers too. And you'll never need to purne it cos you won't be able to get near enough.

Personally, I like the virginia creeper/ honeysuckle options. And rosa Banksiae is nice, as it grows strongly but has no thorns. Long bendy shoots you can tie in without getting scratched to death, little buff-yellowy flowers.

I remember one of the Gardener's Question Time team saying something along the lines of - Don't post a Kiftsgate Rose near your back door and then go to bed or you won't get out in the morning.

It is a lovely plant though and will cover large areas in a short time. Wish I'd thought of that.

Hoddy

Interesting thread. I have Googled the Kiftsgate Rose and it does look lovely. Is it possible to plant it on the side of a bank to grow tumbling down a hill as ground cover? At the moment it is covered with stinging nettles.

Thank you RH. I think it sounds lovely to cover this hill in roses. Perhaps a combination of ivy and roses would work well. It is very steep and covered in stinging nettles so not looking forward to the job but sounds as if it will be well worth it. Thank you again.