moles

fussy

Hi all, moh was talking today to our french neighbour about our mole problem,she said that if you put broken glass or brambles down the runs, the moles cut themselves and bleed to death, please, no aahs our garden looks like a bomb site, we put up with a bit of mole activity, but its getting ot of hand now, has anyone tried this method.

Plastic bottles on sticks. Works every time the Moles do not like the vibrations that is made. Plus you probably only have one mole as they are very territorial. If you get rid of one another will take over its runs etc. So better the devil you know.

[quote user="fussy"]

Hi all, moh was talking today to our french neighbour about our mole problem,she said that if you put broken glass or brambles down the runs, the moles cut themselves and bleed to death, please, no aahs our garden looks like a bomb site, we put up with a bit of mole activity, but its getting ot of hand now, has anyone tried this method.

[/quote]

Holly leaves have the same effect. I prefer living with them. They create lots of top soil for pots and the garden and loosen up clay soil. Live and let live is my philosophy but maybe not yours.

Fussy...blitz 'em...any method you can find that kills them is a good one, be creative and inventive (the last 'method' left a 50cm wide by 15cm deep crater in my new lawn[:@] and me in a load of trouble but I got the brugger)...our problem seems to have boiled down to four in total (all now digging happily aloft) and we're now mole free. They will be back though.

Good luck!

I know of no proof that moles are hemophiliac (sp). They also do not loosen clay soil. They refine it so that it could be used for pottery but they still leave runs which can collapse, and molehills which either must be cleared away or are immediatley colanised by weeds or coarse grass. If the molehills bake hard in the sun (what sun?) they are an obstacle when mowing the lawn on a sit on mower. I use a "detauper" which uses an explosive device which usually kills them instantly. It is not cheap but I think it is preferable to the slice them in two type of trap.

It staggers me that some people put the cosmetic appearance of a bit of grass above the lives of moles and are prepared to do something so barbaric as put glass down their runs.  I'm surprised the moderators haven't removed such a cruel suggestion from the forum.

I use sonic deterrents to do the best job they can and I refuse to focus on such a trivial matter as mole hills.

Plastic bottles on sticks. Works every time the Moles do not like the vibrations that is made. Plus you probably only have one mole as they are very territorial. If you get rid of one another will take over its runs etc. So better the devil you know. The same thing only free.

[quote user="chocccie"]

It staggers me that some people put the cosmetic appearance of a bit of grass above the lives of moles and are prepared to do something so barbaric as put glass down their runs.  I'm surprised the moderators haven't removed such a cruel suggestion from the forum.

I use sonic deterrents to do the best job they can and I refuse to focus on such a trivial matter as mole hills.

[/quote]

Glad you're not the groundsperson at Wimbledon choccie!

Try welding some 15cm nails (or longer) onto a heavy steel plate, say 15cm x 15cm which itself is welded onto a length of scaffold tube...wait for the activity, usually early morning or evening...drive molevorisor down hard and hopefully you've got the blighter!

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Try welding some 15cm nails (or longer) onto a heavy steel plate, say 15cm x 15cm which itself is welded onto a length of scaffold tube...

[/quote]

Ewwwwww that sounds so.......so....so.....unattractive. (The metalwork i mean.........) I know it's only a mole masher but even so......Please at least tell me the welds are beautiful?

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Try welding some 15cm nails (or longer) onto a heavy steel plate, say 15cm x 15cm which itself is welded onto a length of scaffold tube...wait for the activity, usually early morning or evening...drive molevorisor down hard and hopefully you've got the blighter!

[/quote]

Sound idea with a few modifications.

Do away with the scaffold pole and just stamp sharply on it with your foot but make sure that;

(a) the nails are very sharp,

(b) you place it on the ground 'nails up',

(c) you wear suitable footwear, 'flip-flops' are ideal as the nails will be wiped clean when they go through the sole.

Then you'll have some idea of what the mole would feel................................[:@]

Don't be silly BB. That is not a realistic comparison.

Ideally you want a bit of at least 6ft by 4ft plate with huge spikes welded on. Then lay it on the ground and jump onto it from either an upstairs window or roof. I'll even make it if anyone fancies a go?

[quote user="chocccie"]

It staggers me that some people put the cosmetic appearance of a bit of grass above the lives of moles and are prepared to do something so barbaric as put glass down their runs.  [/quote]

Well maybe the moles will send it back up to the surface Chocccie and it will get into their mower and strewn all over their beautiful lawn !   [:P]

On a French gardening forum, no I don't belong to it but came across it looking for anti-taupes to stop the carnage, someone said he had tried all your barbaric methods without success and had bought one of these and it works !  Not very expensive either :

Anti-Taupes Solaire

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/16.gif[/IMG]              [IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/Animal.jpg[/IMG]

sorry my way of killing moles upset you choccie, maybe in the future if you see the heading moles in this section you should avoid reading it, I put moles in the same catogory as flies, they serve no purpose at all, and I certainly don't see my garden as a ' piece of grass '

Way to go Fussy...likewise, I didn't put the hours of prep and sweat into making something I'm proud of only to be ripped up by a mole...TangoSierra Mr mole. Like I said before...if it's a pest, a hazard or edible it gets the good news.

edit...the dog shat on the lawn today...his days are numbered too if he does it again[:D]

""How do you know that Gary?""

The answer to that should be self evident, Mr Head, anyone who doesn't understand the function and role of either flies or moles is unlikely to know much about Nature, no offence intended, fussy.[:)]

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

""How do you know that Gary?""

The answer to that should be self evident, Mr Head, anyone who doesn't understand the function and role of either flies or moles is unlikely to know much about Nature, no offence intended, fussy.[:)]

Chris

[/quote]

Yep, right on Chris! Moles can function anywhere they like...but my grass!

This is like the econerds versus the molekillers and grass lovers, I completely respect the opposing point of view but I suspect the opposition are less than forgiving?