What can I kill bamboo with?

Le_Jars

To put a photo into a post it has to be on a website.

The easiest thing to do is to go to Photobucket

http://photobucket.com/

and register - it's free.

Then BROWSE to find the picture on your hard drive and SUBMIT it to Photobucket. This may take a couple of minutes if it has to resize your picture. When the pic appears in your album it will have 3 address boxes underneath it. Highlight the bottom one (img). I have to highlight it, click on the right arrow on your keyboard (otherwise the whole address isn't always copied) and copy it. Paste the IMG address into your post (it should start and end with IMG in square brackets (if I do that properly it confuses the software) and Bob's your uncle.

Here's my uncle, working on his memoirs:

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/Munky.jpg[/IMG]

Nope! You need to put 'img' in brackets before the url and '/img' in brackets after it, without the quote marks.

Nice bamboo - sure there's no panda in there?  Pic's a bit big - makes the posting a bit wide.

[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/carolskianne/DSCN3225.jpg[/img]

Phil

There is a bit about bamboo in my gardening mag this week - if the original poster wants to kill it, apparently you cut off the stems at ground level, drill down into several shoots/canes and pour down glyposate - this will kill the whole plant though...............

• 1 year later...
I have a similar problem, which has come to light rather rapidly with the recent wet weather...

The bamboo planted by a previous owner has thrown shoots over 6 feet away and the new canes are 2in in diameter!!!

Despite Mr Clair's attempts to keep on top of the young shoots, they are now too numerous, even growing inside the compost bin!!

The whole plant will have to go at the end of the summer (can't do it now as we have paying guests in).

Le Jars, have you succeeded in your attempt?

Sorry but you are going to have to dig this stuff up to be truly rid of it once & for all - I don't think its easy to zap it with chemicals either..  Some sub-species grow on runners (like strawberrys or mint) and will invade with avengence, so alas you will have to get stuck in with a spade and dig the devil out manually.   I have one here that began as a rather delicate plant and is now a monster striding across the garden, so I have that job ahead too because it has even pushed its way through the weed-proof membrane under the gravel.  Its a thug.