plant pots

maison poppy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="maison poppy"] The thing is that I don't want big pots or planters just small plastic pots but lots of them.[/quote]

I wish I had known earlier, we took loads to the dechetterie and people there were taking some away with them after dumping their rubbish. Mind you, you are miles away from us.

Sue

Thanks again Sue. There are lots at the dechetterie but they will not allow us to take anything out of the big skips. Most people buy small plants, then plant them in the garden and have no further use for the small pots. Then they throw them away. We have collected many from local friends but we need more. We even use our old plastic milk bottles by cutting them in half.

Thank-you Framboise. Brilliant question. We want to open a small garden-centre and sell our plants for a small price, but we need to keep the price of the basics ( pots and compost etc.) low. To buy simple plastic pots from a garden-centre or supermarket is astronomical. To be able to go to a wholesaler here we need to register and pay all the social charges. We need at least another year to finish building the infastructure and bring on the plants we are propagating. Of course when we are ready to trade we will register. We can buy pots in england and get them posted here and we will most likely have to, but whenever we speak to anybody they say " oh we have lots of old pots in the barn you can have". So we thought we might try the forum and see what happens. We are after something for nothing but we are willing to spend our time and petrol by collecting them. And its a tiny bit of recyling.( sorry bit of a serious answer to a good question)

Save as many yoghurt pots as possible - they work really well. I tried with milk/water bottles too but they are hard to make holes in the bottom and use up lots of soil as they are wide.

It may not be feasible but I have used a little mould thing in the past to make pots out of newspaper (available on various greeny-type websites). It works well for starting off tomatoes etc as the roots grow right through (like those peat pots) and you can plant out direct. We thought it was a great use of all the publicity that arrives in the letterbox, but it takes forever to make them and dry them out (definitely a winter job, in front of the fire) and this would not be a good option if you need to water the small pots regularly over a long period as they can collapse. Might help you out though, if you are running low on stocks.

Good luck in your quest,

Jane

Thanks Jane and Danny, very good ideas. We did read about making pots but as you say they don't hold together very well. We have not had any replies, but we have got on to the forum. We have been here for five years and have viewed the forum but not taken part. We will in the future.Thank-you for your good wishes and help.Gwen and Danny