Slugs

Suninfrance

Has anyone else had a huge problem this year with the orange slugs.  It seems I have them in their hundreds. 

First they stripped the leaves off my marigolds before starting on the flowers, then one of my hanging baskets which was waiting for something to hang it on (!!! Still waiting).  I took a stroll down to the veg plot this afternoon and they were having a fair old picnic down there.

I don't want to put slug pellets down - not with 5 cats around who like playing among the leeks and onions.  Any suggestions apart from a truck load of salt to get rid of them?

Jan

I once had a colleague who swore that his ancient aunt snipped them in two with scissors. It is environmentally friendly and presumably death is quick. I've never quite been able to bring myself to do it though.

Hoddy

I have been having the same problem as Suninfrance they are all over the place by the flippin hundreds. URGH! Hoddy am afraid I couldn't bring myself to do it either and anyway I'd be out there for days just cutting up slugs, can think of better ways of spending my days!! URGH! again Gemini man the thought of emptying the bucket after is disgusting!

Had the same problem and found (in Germany) a supposedly animal freindly slug killer - sheer desparation since seedlings were being stripped as they came out of our sandy (and supposedly slug unfreindly) ground.    It is based on Ferric Phosphate (Iron III phosphate).  I have no idea how it works but it seems to.  AFAIK Ferric Phosphate has no major impact on the environment - at the levels being used here - sprinkled like any other slug pellet..

Maybe Chris-PP knows more about it and its impact

Evening before last I went for a walk along the lane and saw hundreds of them lying apparently dead along the sides of the lane. Some of them in clusters. Could be something to do with the excessive rain we've been having. Now mercifully seems to be like real summer.

• 3 weeks later...
I've found them them in clusters also.  I think they are called European slugs and can also come in black.  Chris PP any ideas?

Also, came home from a night out the other evening and went to fill up the cats biscuit bowl in the kitchen and a massive stripey slug had slimed across the floor from the front door and was munching what was left of the biscuits - yeeeeewwww!

The little grey ones are the worst. They live in the soil and attack seedlings before they have a chance. I believe Bill Oddie states that the big black keeled slugs are not a garden enemy. It is possible to buy a nematode which is a natural slug killer but it is at least 50% more expensive in France than Britain and there is probably postage to pay on top.

According to my sister they hate coffee grounds, she has used them as a mulch and it really has worked. Doesn't matter if they are used or not........she says some coffee shops (like Starbucks) sell the used grounds for the purpose. First I have heard of it but it could be worth a try.

Saw a tip in a book about vinegar at the weekend (I must get out more) which said to put a few drops of white vinegar on a slug and it will dissolve.  Mind you, according to this book, vinegar is the magical elixier of life and will do anything you want of it.  And I used to think that it was just stuff you put on chips to make the salt stick!

Well the vinegar trick worked!  A few drops on each one and by morning there was hardly a trace and what's more, far fewer of the things turning up after.  I like this better than slug poison as I always think a bird might take a poisoned slug and then suffer the same fate.  This way they just get a bit of seasoning.

How about using ground egg shells ?   Not tried it myself - yet - but my father in law swears by it.  Just collect and wash your egg shells thoughout the year and set to every now and then with a grinder of some sorts (vide grenier ??), collect them in a jar and sprinkle them around your  plants as required.   At least its biological and best of all free (apart from a little labour).