Tomato Blight....again

Thibault

Having just taken out all our outside tomato plants because of blight, we have just noticed that the tomato plants in the greenhouse are starting to show signs of the blinking thing.

Obviously we will get rid of the greenhouse ones as well.  But, rotation of crops is not possible in the greenhouse as all we grow in there are tomatoes.

Will we have to change the soil in the greenhouse?  If so, how far down do we need to go?

Are there any other treatments possible to prevent blight attacking next year's crop?

Any advice will be greatfully received.

I grow both indoor and outdoor toms here in Normandy but in the greenhouse I have both power and heating.  Lost all of outdoor but just one or two indoors.  Do not spray even that purple Bordeaux stuff strictly bio here.

Indoors one should keep the doors and vents open but blight is air borne by spores.

I always change the soil in the greenhouse keeping mole hills and used compost that sort of thing and go down eighteen inches and use Jeyes fluid as well.

Howere blight as I say is airborne.

Unless you are prepred to spray and in advance you have no chance.

Down in the Vendee for the last few days and for their microclimate they have suffered this year when they have not suffered for the last twenty years.

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes. I had it the last 2 years, but no problem this year, despite all the wet weather. Mine are all outdoor varieties, and are doing well, but a bit slow ripening.

Choosing a different spot next year, maybe not in the route of the prevailing wind could help. Also, I suppose you get rid of the blighted crop totally - not on the compost heap.

Better luck next year, Jo

Llwyncelyn,

I haven't used any this year but last year I bought some bordeaux mixture from my local Gamm Vert and I specifically remember it being bio (I wouldn't have bought it if not). So, if you think it might help, don't be put off by the lurid colour! You can get uncoloured stuff, but I doubt that is bio, bizarrely...

Jane

Llwyncelyn wrote:

I always change the soil in the greenhouse keeping mole hills and used compost that sort of thing and go down eighteen inches and use Jeyes fluid as well.

Thanks for that advice.  Do you use the Jeyes Fluid neat or diluted?

Hi you are probably right but I had a feeling that as they spray vines with it as well and on a wholesale basis it was not bio!  or is there a bio version available?

Just going to plant some more tomatoes in the greenhouse and some spare seed pots which I have saved so hopefully some for Xmas.

Xmas thinking of Christmas already.

Love Cahors and my wife wants to move there from Normandy I want us to go to Vendee.  Discord in the family.

Having grown tomatoes sucessfully for a number of years in a greenhouse (in the UK) we tried our hand at growing outdoor ones here in France.  We bought several varieties from the local Leclerc/HyperU and they have all been affected by blight.  It all started off very well  - although none of them seemed to be heavy croppers.  So two questions please : 1) can anyone recommend a good medium sized variety tomato that we can grow next year (we don't like the cherry or beefsteak variety) and 2) is it possible to buy Jeyes fluid in France or do they have an equivalent.

Have a look at the web site of Ste Marthe these are 100% bio guys and who sell both seed and young plants in season.  There are a whole host of varieties.  Again another good site is Simpsons Seeds in Warminster in the UK and they supply seeds and plants and a huge variety of chillies.

hope this helps

[quote user="the gardon hunter"]

Having grown tomatoes sucessfully for a number of years in a greenhouse (in the UK) we tried our hand at growing outdoor ones here in France.  We bought several varieties from the local Leclerc/HyperU and they have all been affected by blight.  It all started off very well  - although none of them seemed to be heavy croppers.  So two questions please : 1) can anyone recommend a good medium sized variety tomato that we can grow next year (we don't like the cherry or beefsteak variety) and 2) is it possible to buy Jeyes fluid in France or do they have an equivalent.

[/quote]

Many amateur but experienced tomato growers in  France have had blight on their toms this year, it may not be the variety that is at fault, just the conditions.

Here in the UK I am just about to pick my first 'Tumbler ' Toms about a month late, they just would not ripen !