Is it worth getting a Carte de Sejour in preparation for Brexit?

Rabbie, I half agree. If you read the words of the treaty carefully we remain in the in for 2 years plus or minus. I think the EU members understand this.

My concern is with the rest of the world who will not, hence my examples above which are not EU.

Get pulled up in Cartegana, Astana or Bissau and produce an EU passport in 2017 as proof of identity?

Try to get car hire in Bangkok this summer?

WE (the EU) probably understand the rules (and even here I am unsure given the number of Gs who assume we should all have changed to a French licence the day we moved), outside the EU, who will see behind the headline of UK leaves the EU?

I have real and genuine concerns - not for myself - but for others who may well fall foul of a complete lack of understanding of what is happening should there be a Brexit.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

andyh wrote:

There will be many Brits travelling on holiday who might just (and I do

stress might) find that some jobsworth in Kathmandu will say that their

licence is not valid anymore and no they cannot hire a car, or in Miami

or wherever.

and

I truly hope that pragmatism will apply across the world ( and

remember the problem is potentially some official or hire car clerk in

Timbuctoo or other remote location and not necessarily in Frankfurt/Main

or Bratislava.)

If you feel global car rental could become a major issue you could drop these outfits below  an email asking if a European UK drivers licence will be valid at their locations on June 24th.

KathmanduCarRental

MiamiCarRental

TimbuktuCarRental

regards

cajal

[quote user="NormanH"]Surely those of us who live full-time in France have French Driving licences?

[/quote]

Not necessarily, Norman H, I don't.  I still drive on my UK paper one issued years ago ... I never had the fancy new one which expires after 10 years ... though I am approaching the age when I will have to change it ..  I did try to change it about 2 years ago ... but had not got one piece of paper with me [it did not say I needed it of course but the Beziers sous prefecture decided that I did!] so I abandoned it and keep going on the old one until I have to change it ...

I cannot be the only one in that situation, quite legally.

Scaremonger in chief writes,

" if you feel global car rental could become a major issue you could drop these outfits below an email asking if a European UK drivers licence will be valid at their locations on June 24th."

Why should I ? I and it seems others, don't think your doom and gloom idiotic ideas are going to come true. Give it up mate you've backed a loser.

[quote user="cajal"]

Hi NickP

Maybe you should consider re-reading the above few posts then perhaps editing yours.

regards

cajal

[/quote]

I suggest you do the Same, but I don't think reading reality is in your world. I stand by what I say, all your dealing in is your silly fantasies and making it up as you go along. Do yourself a favour pal and stick to your old jokes.

NickP, if cajal was twice as funny as he is we would call him  a wit.[:D]

Anyone who is worried about their licence being accepted can always get an International Driving Permit. That should solve any problems

Well

1) It seems natural to have the licence of the country you live in as one way of showing that you 'belong'

Isn't it in the spirit of a carte de séjour or taking dual nationality, a way of showing that one  has moved on from one's previous UK-centered existence?

I had a 6 month window to exchange my UK one in 1997 so I did.

2) If you get any points you will have to get a French one anyway.

3) My French (paper) licence is valid for life.

To be honest Norman, I think what is natural is to do the absolute minimum required when moving to another country. There are enough "essential" things to be dealt with when moving to a different environment to worry too much about "showing that you belong" by having something that no one is likely to see apart from the G who pulls you up for failing to come to a full stop at a junction.

It maybe makes you feel good, but as the saying goes it is a bit like peeing yourself in a dark suit. You have a warm feeling but no one else notices.

I legally managed to keep a UK licence for near on 18 years before it "had" to be changed to a French one - and that was less than straightforward since the marie gave me an application form that was at least 20 years out of date and the traffic department in the prefecture, instead of reacting, just ignored it. It was only when I pushed them that they reacted - so even they did not see it as a big "you have arrived" event.

People moving to a different country have many, many things to handle on their arrival. Changing the driving licence within the EU is not one of them and it is not required within EU regulations so long as the national licence remains valid, or unless you transgress in a significant way.

NormanH said:

Well

1) It seems natural to have the licence of the country you live in as one way of showing that you 'belong'

Isn't it in the spirit of a carte de séjour or taking dual nationality, a way of showing that one has moved on from one's previous UK-centered existence?

I haven't started wearing a beret or smoking Gauloises either. I fail to see why I should want to 'show that I belong'. If I need to prove that to a flic my Carte d'Identité should do the trick. Not that any of them has shown any interest in my driving licence since I first started driving in France in the 70's

I had a 6 month window to exchange my UK one in 1997 so I did.

Times and rules change

2) If you get any points you will have to get a French one anyway.

Me? Get points? Never!!!!

3) My French (paper) licence is valid for life.

And mine will be when I have to get it at the end of next year.

No, Albert, you will get the card licence which lasts, I think, for 10 years like the UK card licence.

I changed to a French paper one (given the tip by AnOther) before they stopped them and I believe that that lasts, well not quite for life, but till 2030 by which time I might well no longer need it, dead or alive!