Spiders

Suninfrance

Hoping Chris PP will see this.  A friend has just asked if I can identify a spider she saw in her garden whilst weeding.  No picture unfortunately but the description goes like this

It was about 2 inches across, maybe a bit more,

with an abdomen the size of a large hornet, yellow and black stripes but a pale

pretty yellow, with the same stripey legs and very pointed legs, funnily enough

its web was different to a normal spider too.

That was the end of my weeding, I was in shock.I

retired to the wine bottle!

Hope you can help

Any ideas anyone

Jan

But spiders are soooo nice (unless you are an insect) and this one doesn't even have much of a bite. I was watching one on Saturday, a grass hopper jumped into the web and it was literally wrapped up in a few seconds, incredibly fast but that's because it doesn't have the venom, not like crab spiders.

Cheers, Chris

Just doesn't work for me.  I spent 3 months in a bedsit in Woburn Sands and the room was infested with spiders.  My landlords wouldn't deal with it even though I was terrified and I can honestly say I didn't have a good night's sleep all the while I was there.  So I'm still not OK with them.  However, I can now get as far as putting a glass over them, then I have to get OH to evict them.  I won't kill them.

[quote user="chris pp"]

Not the most difficult one from the last week, Jan.[:)] Agriope bruennichi

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/Agriopebruennichi.jpg[/IMG]

Chris x

[/quote]

That ain't a spider.

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/blueblarg/HUNSTMAN.jpg[/IMG]

This is a spider[;-)]

I can't believe I opened this post - I used to get people to check through magazines for me before reading them in case there were pictures of large spiders in them, so they could tear that page out before I got to it !

And then I was stupid enough to open this post ......  

I think that you will find that as they both have 8 legs that they are both spiders, but one is bloody humongus.

I don't mind spiders, but when they wear size 9 boots then they are not for me. As a matter of interest L&R what make is that and is it in your hand??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, peut etra not totally cuddly little thingies either,,,

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html#huntsman

They may not be as bad, but if I can hear then then that's enough for me. I once came face to face with one at my sisters in Aussie. My only escape route, because my sister was in the way, was over a kitchen unit that stuck out from the wall. I cleared it from a standing start and managed to miss all the crockery and an electric kettle that was on it! All I did was to pick up a tea caddy for the umteenth time that morning and it stood they and threatened me [:-))]!!!

I did convince my brother-in-law (silly sod) to hold an empty ice carton with the spider on it while I took a photo. His language was NOT kind??? He had been bitten by one before...